Stuck on internet recovery of Macbook Air mid 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lamaxx, Oct 3, 2011.

1. lamaxx macrumors newbie

Hello

It's been three days with no results for my problem bringing back life to my brand new macbook air (mid 2011)

here's my story, and i hope someone can point me to the right direction to solving this.

once i bought my macbook i tried setting a windows 7 partition through bootcamp, all went well and windows was up and running in parallel to OS X Lion including a shared partition formatted in exFat, then i decided to change drive letters from the drive settings in "computer management" within windows 7, i didn't realize that this would break all associations of the partitions installed when i rebooted the laptop, once i restarted the machine i had only one partition showing on the boot menu which was "windows".

In the past several days i tried everything and eventually ended up with deleting all the other dormant partitions that are "recovery HD", "EFI", "mac" through windows management.

I also tried running gparted to try and fix the HD but gparted gets stuck and i can't run anything, i am only able to access or reinstall windows to HDD.

I tried using the internet recovery by holding Command+R but internet recovery shows a revolving globe for a while then i would briefly get a progress bar for a split second then the globe would change to an alert sign with the message "apple.com/support -2100f".

I tried looking up this error message but it's not referenced anywhere on the web and i don't really know what it means.

can someone help me in understanding what this means and how should i approach this problem.

Thanks.

2. lamaxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Found my solution

I just figured out what was wrong, and I thought i would share this incase someone else needs help.

I had two errors being reported by the "internet recovery" process, both were related to problems when connecting to the apple servers when downloading recovery tools and OSX lion.

I was connecting to the internet through a linksys router using DD-WRT firmware.

error "2100f" was reported when i had my 1st and 2nd DNS server setting set to use openDNS in the router.

error "2002f" was reported when i had DHCP forwarder enabled on the router.

the solution was simple:

1 - I had to set the static DNS servers to google's DNS IP addresses instead of openDNS.

2 - I Had to enable "DNSmasq for DHCP" & "DNSmasq for DNS"

The recovery worked as expected it took around 20 minutes to download the initial recovery utility, then another 4 Hours to download OSX lion.

Hope this helps.

3. Wilfredchen macrumors newbie

Help

@lamaxx

Can u help me with the process ? I am in the same situation on my Macbook air 2011, wipe out the OS .. now stuck in internet recovery without any progress. I call up apple support Singapore but they ask me to wait till Monday or Tuesday to get reply email from Apple in Cupertino.

Can u guide me how to do the 2 solution u post there? I am using a D-link DIR-615

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I know this is an old thread and I will get yeled at for resurrecting it but this helped me big time (mac mini) and I have to say thank you. Worked like a charm.

5. steniosarmento macrumors newbie

steniosarmento

You really saved my day! Thanks a lot!

In my case just set 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google DNS servers) at the router solved the problem!

6. IhateMacBooks macrumors newbie

IhateMacBooks

How on earth do you complete them 2 steps? I hope its settings in the router and not the mac because even if i hold cmd + r it puts me straight into internet recovery then freezez? Please help.

7. beatdis macrumors newbie

beatdis

this worked for me too, thanx

8. jjnz macrumors newbie

Thanks for this tip. Worked a gem when trying to reinstall on Macbook Air 2012. I am using an Huawei router HG630b. Went to basic settings - LAN and entered above DNS server settings in Primary and Secondary server addresses. Submit.
    No more 2002f error and Lion now installed. Cheers.

9. iamtheazizul macrumors newbie