stuck on no service with h20 on iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zero1994, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Zero1994 macrumors newbie

hey im new here, and I recently bought an iphone 4 and ive been dieing to use it! Its running on ios 5.0.1 and is jailbroken. after finding out i can not unlock it, i switched to h20, reading that you do not need an unlock by many people. i did have to cut the sim, so before i did i tested the sim on a 3gs with no unlock, and worked perfectly. but when i put it in the iphone 4 it gets stuck on no service. ive searched for the answers and havent come up with anything. Ive tried installing SAM but on itunes it still says that the phone cant recognize the sim card. Any other suggestions? anything would greatly help, thanks!

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

There are 2 ways to unlock:

1) software unlock with ultrasn0w, is for BaseBand 1.59.0 for IP4 only
    2) An SIM interposer like Gevey will work for baseband up to 4.10.01

Apperently there are some new SIM interposer on its way to unlock BB 4.11.08, but that is still to be confirmed.

Find out what BB you have, go into settings/general/info at the bottom you can read the modemversion/firmware

3. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive already learned that my BB is not compatible with the unlocks, it appears that whoever had it last (they said it was jailbroken) probably upgraded via itunes which updated the BB Im on ios 5.0.1 with BB 04.11.08

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Ok, your only option is to wait for a new SIM interposer which unlocks 4.11.08

5. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

For an unlock, yes i know this. But that is why i switched to H20, which uses AT&T's network. It does not require an unlock, only a jailbreak to get mms. But my problem is that when i put in the sim card, it is stuck on no service. I tested it on another jailbroken iphone 4, same software and baseband, not unlocked and it worked. So i am trying to figure out what is wrong with mine.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Interesting case.

Your phone works with AT&T?

7. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, its an AT&T iphone but ive yet to try it with an AT&T sim. It should work though, the phone reads the sim, just stuck there on no service and im not sure why

8. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay now im getting Sim failure and invalid sim messages. could this be a problem in the phone? maybe the sim card reader or antenna problem?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Could be a hardware issue with the phone or a bad sim card.
    If its an h20 sim it should work 100% with any iphone locked to AT&T.
    Even redpocket prepaid works with AT&T locked iphones.

10. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what im thinking too, the phone was used so its definitely a possibility. Its not the sim card though, i got it and tried it in my 3gs and it worked perfectly, got signal and all, so i went ahead and use a micro sim cutter and put it in my iphone 4. then ive gotten the no service issue and the occational invalid sim. I know the sim card still works because i have an adapter that you put the micro sim in to make it a standard sim and it still works on my 3gs.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

try getting your hands on an active AT&T SIM, looks like hardware problem

13. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i thought it was weird too. Im going to try and find someone with a micro sim for AT&T. Any idea on exactly what kind of hardware issue it could be and around how much it could take to get fixed? I called the person who sold it to me and they said something about giving me the old sim or something. Not really sure how thats gonna help, but im thinking it might be a gevey sim, if it was used with one before, could that be causing any of my problems?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, gevey is just an adapter.
    It wouldnt cause any hardware issue like that.
    If its still under warranty you can get it replaced for free at Apple.
    If not they will charge you $150 to replace the phone.

15. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh okay, I didn't think so either thanks though. And I don't think it's under warranty. Any idea how much it would be to fix any of the possible issues? For example if its maybe a problem with the sim card reader In the phone?

16. Zero1994 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out that the phone was used internationally, in mexico, and the person talked about having to take off some lock or something? im not really sure, but does anyone have any idea any problems that can occur if the phones was used in mexico? Could it have some sort of lock on it?

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No but if its an iphone that is locked to any Mexican wireless carrier then offcourse it wont work with h20 or AT&T USA.
    About the warranty go to this site and put in your iphones serial number.
    It will tell you if its covered or if Applecare has expired.
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

18. GENERALDANK505 macrumors newbie

sim not reading H20

i currently run h20 on a iphone 4s and an iphone 4 i have no problems with sim at all! try installing sim while phone is off then turn on u should be good!! my 4s run siri and all functions on h20

19. meuser macrumors newbie

Sad!

Hi!
    I just bought a used iPhone 4 despite that I was hesitated to do so. I hate the battery drain of these smart phones!
    Unfortunately, I just lost the monies I paid for it!!! :mad: Updated to 5.0.1 and the BB became 4.11.08!!! :mad:
    No Service is the nightmare I'm seeing now! What a pity!
    Please, let someone do the favor for all of the BB 4.11.08 owners and inform them when ANY hope develops...:eek:
    It took some 3 days of my time and it deformed my mentality regarding Apple! Should we go through tweeting this and that to workout Apples image and brand? They should hear their customers and do not let the unsatisfied (logically unsatisfied) customers (if they stay customers further) diminish their reputation.
    All I did was official and as per iTunes recommendation!!! :mad: What a mess, folks!!!

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So who's fault is it again you updated to stock firmware and lost your unlock?
    And you didnt lose any money, you can still sell it.

21. meuser macrumors newbie

Applejuiced, is it my fault to update my iPhone as per iTunes recommendation?

My phones part number is MC603FD/A and some said its factory unlocked. Is it this easy that I lose the unlock?!

How should I sell an iDivice which lost one of its main features? An iPhone turned to iPod will sell at 1/3 the price, isn't it so?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. If you have an iphone locked to a specific carrier and you unlocked it using a software hack or turbo sim then you cannot update to the latest firmware with itunes even if itunes asks you. It will always lock back to its original provider. Everyone knows that.
    You didnt know that your iphone wasnt factory unlocked?
    If it was JB and unlocked with ultrasnow or with a gevey turbo sim it is NOT factory unlocked.
    Not knowing what you have bought or ignorance is not an excuse.
    I dont know what carrier its locked to but if its AT&T you can sell it to any AT&T customer and they can use it with their sim no problem. That would not cause it to lose 1/3 of its price. A used iphone 4 is still a used iphone 4.
    Next time you should purchase a true factory unlocked iphone.

23. meuser macrumors newbie

Can't you check the status of this iDevice? I shows nothing in the Carrier section. It was working before the update and, btw, I had another one (my brother's) which was updated very easily showing the 04.11.08 BB on the ios 5.0.1 now.
    It did not have a Gevey turbo SIM.

Do you think that still there's hope to get this device to life back?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the part number has nothing to do with it beeing factory unlocked or not.
    Did you purchase the phone as factory unlocked? Was it JB or had cydia installed? Maybe it was unlocked with ultrasnow on baseband 01.59.00
    Not sure what's wrong, try another restore. If it tells you invalid sim then its not carrier unlocked and it needs the operators sim inside to activate.

25. meuser macrumors newbie

Since I'm a newbie to this, would you tell me please what to check? Yes, it was jailbroken full of messy apps. I good clean condition with no heavy usage signs.
    The problem is that I don't know about the past of the original ios. I can tell you what the serial number, the part number, and the other printed numbers are. I live in Iran and the people in the maintenance are not that pro in their job!
    I bought this device for $500 and it's a pity to lose this money.
    The device was restored by more than 4-5 different PCs and 3-4 different SIM cards.
    On the box it tells that the device is ok to be used in the EU. The FD accronym in the part number might mean Finland (?).