Stuck on USB 1.1!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snuffdaddy, Apr 16, 2008.

1. snuffdaddy macrumors member

I have a problem where my mac (1Ghz PowerMac G4) is only equipped with USB 1.1/Firewire 800 and I'm becoming impatient when transferring to/from my iPod Classic which is USB-only....

If I was to buy an external hard drive supporting both Firewire and USB 2.0, would I be able to connect it to my Mac via Firewire, and transfer files to my iPod via the external's USB 2.0 port to solve the issue?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's an interesting idea, but my suspicion is that this will not work. The computer will most likely fail to recognize your iPod when connected through the external drive, and thus syncing with that setup will not be possible... that's just a hunch though. I honestly don't know if it will work or not.

3. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

It will not work. No way no how.

But, you say the computer is a powermac G4, i'm pretty sure they all had PCI slots, so why not get a USB2 PCI card?

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I just conducted a rigidly controlled scientific test on a QuickSilver G4 and a Western Digital Firewire/USB drive. Doesn't work! Your best bet is beige matchbox's idea, pop in a USB 2 PCI card.

5. snuffdaddy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's a fantastic idea! Actually I can't believe I didn't think of the syncing issue beforehand :rolleyes: .

Well thankyou all for your help, I'm now looking for a USB PCI card.

Cheers