Stuck on Version 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karleaglemac, Jan 6, 2011.

1. karleaglemac, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011

karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Guys and gals, I need help.

For some reason I am stuck on 10.5.8. I run the Software Update and it says everything is up to date.

How can this be fixed? :confused: Please help me! :eek:

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To upgrade to 10.6, you need to buy Snow Leopard. It's not a free upgrade, and therefore not available through Software Update.

3. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10.5.8 is the last version of Mac OS X Leopard. To upgrade to OS X Snow Leopard you'll need the following things:

An Intel-based Mac with at least 1GB RAM and 9GB free HDD space.
    A copy of the Snow Leopard upgrade disk (costs US$29 plus tax where applicable)

5. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

I completely forgot that I actually had to buy Snow Leopard. Do you think it is worth upgrading?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's your call. I've elected not to upgrade, as there's nothing that SL offers that I want that Leopard can't do. I only upgrade when there's a specific purpose in doing so, not just for the sake of upgrading.

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

On the surface there's not much difference but there's a lot of interesting new stuff that can run only on Snow Leopard, like Facetime Beta, the new App Store, the most up to date trackpad drivers and so on.

It all depends what your usage is.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you do upgrade to 10.6, I suggest upgrading the ram to 4Gb. It'll run much better.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Max RAM for the OP's model is 2GB and they're already maxed.

10. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I upgraded to snow leopard and I actually gained 10GB of hard drive space. It advertised 6GB. I highly recommend you upgrade because 1. it's $29, and 2. when lion comes out, it will likely require SL to upgrade, and 3. you get the latest security patches, drivers, beta software, app store, etc.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. Tiger users can upgrade to SL without buying Leopard. It's highly unlikely that Leopard users would be forced to upgrade to SL, only to throw that away to go to Lion. That's not the way Apple works.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What DDR3 Mac has a max ram of 2Gb? The least I can find is 4Gb, except the Air. But Apple never made 2.4Ghz Air's.

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Obviously, anything will run better with more RAM; however I run SL on a 1Gb iMac from 2008 and there's no problem at all.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're quite right. I based my statement on a previous post by the OP, where they referenced their 17" 2.16 GHz ICD MBP. I didn't think to look at the screenshot to see they're now on a different model.

15. hinchesk macrumors member

The way Apple does work is to require you to use the $129US Box Set rather than the $29 upgrade to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

Without knowing Lion's pricing it's hard to say what the cheapest way to get there will be. All things equal, 10.5 >> 10.7 will be $129 (box set), and 10.5 >> 10.6 >> 10.7 would be $58 ($29x2). The SL to Lion upgrade would need to be >$90 (which is possible) to make the box set the cheaper option.

YMMV, but for me, I upgraded to SL because at $29 it was a good value. It saved me close to 10Gb of space, has better spell checking and data detectors and trackpad gestures, and lots of misc OS tweaks that just make things easier. These guys have a good list of improvements:
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/mac/mac-os-x-snow-leopard-whats-new-all-users-467

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not a requirement, but a recommendation, so you will have the current versions of iLife and iWork. SL will install just fine on Tiger without first installing Leopard.

From http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL

17. jmazzamj macrumors regular

What you see as saved room when upgarding to SL isn't just the OS being lighter (it's actually not) than Leopard.

Apple got rid of the PowerPc code with SL they count HD space in a different way. According to Leopard and the computer world 1 GB equals to 1024x1024x1024 bytes while SL and HD manufacturers consider 1 GB as 1000x1000x1000 bytes. That's it. No fancy tricks.

Just my 2 cents.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Then why does SL use less RAM than Leopard on my MacBook?

The byte count method does make some difference, as does getting rid of the PPC code. Getting rid of the PPC code does make the system lighter in a way. Whether or not the system is actually lighter, it is faster... that's the most important part.