Stuck or dead pixels?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FJR, Nov 22, 2008.

1. FJR macrumors regular

So I still have my 2G from the original launch (ie its well out of warranty). About a month ago I noticed some lines of unresponsive pixels across the top of my screen. They have slowly been expanding downward. the very first row of pixels on the top of the screen are active, but rows 2-6 are mostly unresponsive. However, sometimes new pixels go unresponsive, but ones that were previously unrepsonsive "come back". There are 4 or so pixels that alternate between red and green, depending on if the screen is red are black, the rest are grey in color (not black).

I am pretty sure they're stuck pixels, but with the iPhone's glass, the "pressure method" doesn't seem to work. I am currently trying out "pixelmetrist" from the app store, but haven't seen any noticeable results thus far. I'm guessing I'll just have to live with it until its too much to deal with, then finallyy bite the bullet and upgrade to the 3G (my area doesn't have 3G cell coverage, so I haven't really felt the need to drop 3 bills). Currently the rows of stuck (or dead) pixels hits right above where the time display is, so other than being aesthetically displeasing, its not a big deal.

Anybody know if there is anything else I can try? Any chance I could get it repaired out of warranty?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Getting it replaced out of warranty would cost more than getting the 3G iPhone initially.

You could try going to this on your iPhone:
    http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/#_home

I have a dead pixel myself on my iPhone 3G. Sucks, but i got used to it.

[​IMG]

3. FJR thread starter macrumors regular

well, I have pixelmetrist, which is like a super-turbo charged version of that. But so far its looking like it was just a waste of 3 bucks.