Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain-rossco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Bristol, UK
Hi Folks,

first post of many I hope. Been reading the forum with interest over the last few months.

Question- I purchased a macbook 2.4 Ghz Unibody from my local apple store on Friday (15th May).

It went back the next day due to there being a scratch on the back of the screen, the 2nd replacement was also taken back due to a stuck pixel in the centre of the screen.

My latest replacement has also got a stuck pixel (that i have used numerous programmes to remove), but its out of the field of immediate vision and not interfering with the Mac Experience.

What do I do? (What would you do?) am i just being too pedantic?

Kindest Regards

CR
:confused:

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I always wondered why there were so many refurbs in Mac Land. :) Was the scratch behind the glass or on the aluminum.

If it bothers you it always will, but realize it is a portable disposable machine, it will get scratches and fail at times.

On my $2500 camera the pixels do that as well. There is an acceptable failure rate, but I don't know what percent that is for apple.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It really is up to you whether or not you want to exchange it. Since you're well within the 14-day return period, you may go back and ask for an exchange and there is no guarantee that you won't get something more obvious. I went through 3 MacBook Pro's before getting one "perfect" unit.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
as the previous poster said there is an acceptable failure for a lot of things. but it doesnt matter where the dead pixel is, if they replaced the the first MB for another one because of one dead pixel, they should replace the new one. luckily i have not had that at all on any macs i have had, neither any TV's or PC's.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I know that I personally cannot stand pixel anomalies. I used to have an LCD monitor that I used with my old PC and the one defective pixel always bothered me, even after years of use. If it bothers you then press your luck. I know I would.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
If it bothers you, return it. It did with me with my first refurb, so I sent it back. Don't let it go over your 14 days though as, according to Apple, it has to be >5 dead pixels to be repaired under warranty.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
No, you are absolutely correct in demanding another screen. I had three units with debris under the screen; the manager was embarrassed and ashamed. The Genius and the manager both sympathized towards me because they could understand how something so minute can be so frustrating and once you spot it, it never goes away. I would go back to the store and demand a new one quickly before a moth turns on your purchase.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Excuse me but I didn't know what "pedantic" meant, my vocabulary isn't that strong. ;)
Okay, enough of that good stuff..
Take it back dude. It obviously bothers you enough otherwise you wouldn't be posting here for advice. I hate dead/stuck pixels, I can tolerate some things but not that. Now, since the store already exchanged you for one that had a bad pixel, they do have a right to refuse another exchange without a restocking fee because the pixel is not dead in the middle which Apple generally exchanges for that reason.
They may not say anything, they may just exchange it so I say go for it while you're within your 14 days.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd exchange it again. For the amount of money you paid, you should get a product you're happy with. I don't think you're being unreasonable. I just got my screen replaced last week because of a dead pixel that created a horizontal line all the way across the screen. Very fast turnaround.

Yodgee

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
I have a single dead pixel in my macbook that was annoying me for a while. I contemplated taking it back to the store but talked some sense to myself as it would be close to OCD, especially seeing the pixels on the far left of the screen and even took me nearly 2 weeks to notice (in constant use). Yeh if the pixel was smack bang in the middle of the screen, or if you used it proffessionally you'd have the right to go exchange it. Besides that 1 dead pixel can slide.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Yeah tell me about it. It seems Mac owners are very picky when it comes to small things like this.
As I said in another thread, would you buy a brand new car that's scratched, or has a chipped windscreen?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The pixel question and hassle is as old as LCDs on portables. Depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer. Apple has a stated pixel policy that's unpublished but you can be sure that the dead pixels need to be > 1

Aside from that, I've seen (and the OP's first hand experience) that apple will swap out a machine if a dead pixel existed. In all of my years of owning a laptop, I've only had one dead pixel and that was on an old, old dell latitude laptop. I've never (knocks on wood) had one on a MBP. Am I lucky, or just part of the majority? I suspect (and hope) that I'm in the latter group.

My feeling on this is, if the dead pixel isn't in the center of the screen or in a location that will be distracting I'll live with it, otherwise I'll return it.

I wonder if you're having problems because a bad lot of laptops was sent to the store, and you might have a little better luck if there's another apple store close by. Either way, open the computer up and examine it before leaving

Yodgee

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
Yeh second that. If your spending a decent amount of cash on something at least open it up at the store and examine it, saving yourself the hassle of having to come back in and sort it out.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I have a single dead pixel in my macbook that was annoying me for a while. I contemplated taking it back to the store but talked some sense to myself as it would be close to OCD, especially seeing the pixels on the far left of the screen and even took me nearly 2 weeks to notice (in constant use). Yeh if the pixel was smack bang in the middle of the screen, or if you used it proffessionally you'd have the right to go exchange it. Besides that 1 dead pixel can slide.

I actually have OCD, so imagine me opening up the MBP when I got it. :D Luckily it was perfect, so I didn't have to go nuts with exchanging it. Otherwise, if I were in your shoes or the other fellow's, I'd be making the trip. But truth be told I'd be doing that if my Thinkpad had issues as well.

captain-rossco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Bristol, UK
All sorted,
phoned the local Apple store and asked if i was being a tool worrying about such a tiny thing. One of the guys there said, bring it on back and change it for sure. having spent that much you expect near perfection and this wasn't a good start.
They exchanged it there and then after checking another one out in store that had scratches on it.
Thanks for the advice.

Regards
CR

p.s i can see the true savings in buying a refurb MB as, providing they are fixed, they are returned in brand new condition with the smallest of problems. I'm loving the Mac experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.