Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JakobAloudMadge

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Hi, I just got a MacBook Pro Retina "13 two and a half weeks ago (so happy. It's a great laptop!). Just a few hours ago I saw a white pixel in the middle of the screen that seemed to show up at the very moment I looked away from my screen. I closed the screen and opened it up/logged back in, and it went away. It came back just now, but in the process of registering for this site, it went away again.

It's really distracting and irritating, and it's only happened twice! Has this happened to you? Any suggestions? Thanks!

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well it's most likely not the display. It could be a software issue where a program is attempting (and failing) to draw something over the screen. It could also be a problem with the display's ribbon cable connection to the logic board, or an issue with the graphics processor itself.

Take it to Apple and see what they say. Hopefully you can reproduce the issue in store.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Next time you see it, press Command-Shift-3. This will save a screenshot to your desktop.

If the 'stuck pixel' is present on the screenshot (you can zoom in on it and move it around and it follows the screenshot rather than being fixed on your screen, or if you can see it when you view the screenshot on another device) then it is most likely a software problem.

If the 'stuck pixel' does not show up in the screenshot but only when viewing your screen directly then it is most likely a hardware issue.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Next time you see it, press Command-Shift-3. This will save a screenshot to your desktop.

If the 'stuck pixel' is present on the screenshot (you can zoom in on it and move it around and it follows the screenshot rather than being fixed on your screen, or if you can see it when you view the screenshot on another device) then it is most likely a software problem.

If the 'stuck pixel' does not show up in the screenshot but only when viewing your screen directly then it is most likely a hardware issue.

well this helped me with a problem i had, i would notice a white fuzzy like small dot towards the top left of my screen, it would randomly show up when watching movies or shows in quicktime. and to get rid of it i would just exit and enter back into full screen mode, took a screen shot of it and it shows up on the screen shot. so this means my screen is fine and its a software problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.