Stuck pixel in first week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NineSpine, Feb 28, 2009.

1. NineSpine macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac, a Macbook Pro, and within a week it has a stuck pixel. Obviously this isn't Apple's fault, but I was curious if anyone knew what my chances of swapping this out for a new one are? Or if one dead pixel is a sign of more to come?

2. Psychmike macrumors regular

I think your chances of getting it swapped are very low. Apple probably has general guidelines for replacement including x number of stuck/dead pixels overall or y number of stuck/dead pixels in the central field of view. In some ways, this seems to be the nature of digital technology that doesn't degrade as gracefully as analogue technology.

There are, however, software programs that flash every pixel on your screen at different intensities very quickly and many people report that this can succesfully unstick a stuck pixel. You should be able to find such a freeware program on google without too much trouble. On laptop screens not covered with a glass panel, massaging the screen itself seems to have worked for some people.

Best of luck!

Mike

3. NineSpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think that if I fix this stuck pixel, I should worry about getting more, or are stuck pixels totally random?

4. Psychmike macrumors regular

Would worrying help the situation in any way?

I don't think Apple is going to replace a screen with 1, 2, or even 3 stuck pixels but you could ask. Trying to keep everything in your life perfect is a sure way of driving yourself nuts.

It's not uncommon for LCD screens to develop stuck or dead pixels over their lifetimes. Massaging works sometimes, the flashing method works sometimes, but my sense is that focusing on what is wrong or could go wrong is causing you more anxiety than the actual problem. Take a deep breath, realize that nothing in life is perfect, and that the screen's slight imperfections do not reflect on the quality or worth of your life. Go for a walk, sip a tea, and let in everything in your life that isn't stuck.

Yup, I would be bummed if my screen developed a stuck pixel, but as I look at my screen now, there are a few tiny bits of dirt/dried pizza/ etc. on my home computer's screen. They probably cover more than 1 pixel and I didn't notice them until I looked for them.

Life isn't perfect. It doesn't have to be. And you'll still be fine.

Best regards,
    Mike

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes they will, they will replace any computer with even 1 dead pixel or stuck pixel. Its not official policy but its part of their good customer service. If you want to get it replaced you need to phone Applecare and make a case file. You should have a new computer within a week.

6. NineSpine thread starter macrumors newbie

You are 100% correct.... if this developed after a few months of use. I don't see how within the first WEEK could be considered acceptable.

When I say I want to know if I should worry, I am asking if a dead or stuck pixel indicates a faulty monitor, as in are my chances of these problems cropping up higher, lower, or the same as getting a replacement. I'll just run the fixer programs and see what happens if this is a totally random occurrence and not influenced by the build quality of my screen. However, if getting a stick pixel at this point indicates a higher likelihood of such problems developing in the near future, I will try to replace it.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Seeing as this is obviously bothering you I would just take it back to the store and see if they will swap you for another one without a restocking fee. Tell them it's the first Mac you've ever owned and based on high recommendations you were let down when you saw the pixel. If they say no then go home and be done with it but it's worth a try.

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Within 14 days you should be able to take it back for any reason.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure they will let you exchange it. I've exchanged 3 times before just from stuck pixel. Just be nice and make sure you tell them what you want and they'll at least let you exchange once.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Exactly, i dont even see what the issue is here?! Apple WILL replace it for you.