Stuck Pixel on a 3-Day-Old Late-2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Simplicated, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Hi,

Three days ago Apple replaced my early-2011 MacBook Pro with a late-2011 model in store due to multiple failed attempts to fix my machine. However I just discovered a stuck pixel on it.

I know Apple has a policy on that, but I also know that people whose machine was in the 14-day exchange period were able to swap for a new one.

Given that I didn't purchase the new MacBook Pro (again, Apple replaced it), and the warranty has been extended, should I take it to the Apple Store and ask for a fix, or a replacement?

Thanks a lot.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can always call ahead and ask if they'll replace it.

3. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    If it really bothers you, might as well try to swap it. Apple is generous.

4. emac82 macrumors 6502

I bought a new MBP on December 31st, 2011, and it had a stuck pixel. I tried to "un-stick" it, but it didn't work, I was going to live with it, but in the end I took it to Future Shop and they swapped it, never even turned it on to check it, it was pretty hassle free..

I had talked to Apple prior about something else, and I had asked them and they said it should be replaced...

New MBP works great and no dead/stuck pixels...

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm not sure Apple being generous is the issue here. We all pay a premium for Apple products and a stuck/bad/dead pixel is unacceptable. In the last 15 years I have never kept a single notebook that had a pixel that was not normal. I work hard for my money and I want a screen that is not defective.

I have never had a company refuse to either replace the screen or replace the notebook. It is the first thing I look for when I purchase a notebook, cell phone, or tablet. I know that it does not bother others but since I'm the one staring at it for long periods of time I want it perfect.

One last thing, a colleague of mine that taught at the same university as I (but in manufacturing) brought up a great point about this subject. For a long time the phrase "X amount of bad pixels is normal" or something close to that. He also thought that was funny because people just assumed what the manufacturer told them. This wasn't some outside source, watchdog group, or consumer advocate say thing, it was just the manufacturer telling the consumer to expect less for the same price.

Image if the automotive, airline, or housing industries told you that. "My new car has three scratches on it." "Well, sir 3 to 5 scratches is normal on new car." People would riot. He said many group point to that phrase and commented they wished they could get away with something like that.

If Apple can afford to charge a premium for notebooks that can afford to give you a non-defective screen.

-P

6. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Well I had a hi-res IBM thinkpad T42 that had an amazing 3 stuck pixels when I first turned it on (later turned into 7 or 8). The truth is, they never bothered me as they were light grey pixels, resembled specks of dust, and were clustered to the far right of the screen where tool bars are usually located.

I agree, for the Apple premium we should demand perfection. The point is, a single stuck pixel probably isn't the end of the world.

7. Simplicated thread starter macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The Genius wanted to replace it with another machine for me, citing that I would not accept having it repaired again. However there was no stock for my computer, as they replaced my old one with the top of the line one. So they instead ordered a new display and will attempt to fix it when it arrives.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Some people complain about the high price of a MBP as compared to the competition, which is indeed true. However Mac owners have higher expectations based on how Apple hypes their product. Therefore Apple experiences massive numbers of returns. The good news is Apple is able to take back machines that in some cases are not defective, just to keep their picky customers happy. The premium pays Apples loss for this, and it makes Apple look good.