Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Well guys as the title of the post states i have a one stuck pixel on my brand new retina macbook. The stuck pixel is always red or green n appears more profoundly on black backgrounds. The funny thing is that it comes and goes but it is there.
i bought my macbook a month back so the 14 day return period is over and i havent bought the apple care yet.
So what options i have in my hands.

p.s the stuck pixel is on the far lower right portion of the screen not in the middle.

Thanks

Queen6

macrumors G4
You can try to search for a site or an application that continuously rotates primary colours, this has been known to help for some. Speak with Apple about replacing the display (complete top case), equally they will only do so if it falls within Apple guidelines or out of benevolence.

Q-6

Reactions: salmankhan

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Ya out of benevolence i think they might cause its only a single stuck pixel and i dont know whether apple can replace the whole display for a single stuck pixel or whateva it is

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
You can try to search for a site or an application that continuously rotates primary colours, this has been known to help for some. Speak with Apple about replacing the display (complete top case), equally they will only do so if it falls within Apple guidelines or out of benevolence.

Q-6

I tried this a while ago (on a 15" rMBP, not on the rMB, for what it's worth) and had no success. I ended up getting the screen replaced BUT I was under AppleCare+. OP, I'd try the Apple Store.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Well guys as the title of the post states i have a one stuck pixel on my brand new retina macbook. The stuck pixel is always red or green n appears more profoundly on black backgrounds. The funny thing is that it comes and goes but it is there.
i bought my macbook a month back so the 14 day return period is over and i havent bought the apple care yet.
So what options i have in my hands.

p.s the stuck pixel is on the far lower right portion of the screen not in the middle.

Thanks
Take it back and they should replace it for you.

I had a dead pixel on my iPhone and they replaced it.

You still get a years limited Apple Care remember.

asaggynoodle

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Absolutely take it back and get a replacement. This is a manufacturing defect, don't let your warranty expire.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I tried the method described by Queen6 once and it worked for me. I ended up using that monitor for years without ever seeing another stuck pixel.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'd try to unstick it first as apples policy won't cover you.

iPod nano, iPod touch, and iPhone screens: repair or replace after 1 or more dead pixels iPad: repair or replace after 3 or more dead pixels

MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13″ and 15″ models: replace after 4 or more bright pixels, 6 or more dark pixels

MacBook Pro 17″, displays up to 20″: replace after 5 or more bright pixels, 7 or more dark pixels iMac 24″ and iMac 27″,

Apple Cinema Displays from 22″ to 30″: replace after 9 or more bright pixels, 11 or more dark pixels

If the number of pixel anomalies is within specifications, explain that to the customer. Further explain that you can replace the product, but the replacement product may have even more anomalies yet still be within specifications, and that Apple will not replace the product again if the number of anomalies in the replacement product is within specifications.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While I agree a single pixel is not enough for apple to replace the laptop, you may find a sympathetic genius willing to help you out.

I'd try to massage it out as mentioned first however.

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I'd try to unstick it first as apples policy won't cover you.

iPod nano, iPod touch, and iPhone screens: repair or replace after 1 or more dead pixels iPad: repair or replace after 3 or more dead pixels

MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13″ and 15″ models: replace after 4 or more bright pixels, 6 or more dark pixels

MacBook Pro 17″, displays up to 20″: replace after 5 or more bright pixels, 7 or more dark pixels iMac 24″ and iMac 27″,

Apple Cinema Displays from 22″ to 30″: replace after 9 or more bright pixels, 11 or more dark pixels

If the number of pixel anomalies is within specifications, explain that to the customer. Further explain that you can replace the product, but the replacement product may have even more anomalies yet still be within specifications, and that Apple will not replace the product again if the number of anomalies in the replacement product is within specifications.

^This.
exactly apple is not willing to replace my screen. talked with them and they said the same thing which you comprehensively elaborated.
well time to live with it or use those rotating primary circles as mentioned by Queen6 in the above post
thanks guys

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
^This.
exactly apple is not willing to replace my screen. talked with them and they said the same thing which you comprehensively elaborated.
well time to live with it or use those rotating primary circles as mentioned by Queen6 in the above post
thanks guys
Here is a video to play mate

Run it at max brightness and see if it helps

salmankhan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
5b014265fcfc8f23a971ba719419d88c.jpg
033378f601195a888c128f026f6140bb.jpg

Here are some snapshots of that irky pixel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.