Stuck Pixels, Exchange ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 88Keys, Sep 21, 2007.

1. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Hello everyone. OK I'm not much of a complainer but I have maybe 6-7 faint green stuck pixels and one of them is very bright. The other few I really don't notice, but the one brightest one is off center screen to the right. It really such a small issue to complain about but it really bugs me.

Tomorrow is my last day for a return and I'm wondering should go on and try to exchange it or suck it up and deal with it. I think about this because what are my odds of getting a brand new phone is worse condition? How many of you out there are dealing with stuck pixels? Have you exchanged it? Did it go smoothly and is all well after you have?

Thanks.

2. projectle macrumors 6502

Go exchange it!

Don't get shafted because of manufacturing defects!

3. Jsingh macrumors member

I bought my iPhone the day it came out, and just yesterday i exchanged it for a replacement due to dead pixels. Apple currently does not have a dead pixel policy, it is best to exchange the phone before they do.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

5. DanB91 macrumors 6502

try one of those web sites that flash multiple colors to get rid of stuck pixels. ik theres one on ytmnd

6. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

I recently exchanged my iPhone for dead pixels.

The only thing the genius asked(oh yea, make an appointment) was for me to show him the pixel. (note: i head dead stuck ones, i showed him the brightest and easiest to see. )

Maybe put a post it on the phone and draw an arrow pointing to the pixel. (that's what he did when he took my old one)

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Was at the Apple store tonight to get my phone looked at for the negative black issue. I had 1 dead/stuck pixel also. The pixel wasnt so much of a problem for me but I did tell him I had one. He looked at my phone and said "ya, I see it right there." He replaced my phone for me because of the negative black screen, but I think if Id only had that 1 bad pixel he would have too. Although you and I both have seen people that said their stores wouldnt replace just for 1 pixel. So it seems your milage may vary.

8. pixlnet macrumors member

I had a dead pixel on my 4gb iPhone and right after they announced they won't sell the 4gb I took it in. They said they will just give me a new one....but I got lucky and they couldn't find the 4gb in the back. So, they exchanged the 4gb for $499, I paid the restock fee, and bought a 8gb for $399. I wound up making about 60 bucks out of the deal and got a better phone so I was really happy about that.

If there's a dead pixel on your iPhone have it replaced, period. If you wanna resell it, youll have a tougher time and besides when you turn the thing on and off its just an eye sore. It's like buying a black Mercedes with chipped paint!

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I've been wondering if I could exchnage mine with one dead pixel. It just looks like a small black spec on the screen that can't be brushed off....nothing too bad but slightly bothersome at times. I bought it at ATT, but an Apple Store just opened in my area. Could I just go in there and show it to them? Honestly I'd feel a little funny complaining about it, but I did pay a lot of money for the thing, so it's not unreasonable to want one with no dead pixels.

10. one1 macrumors 65816

I understand 1 pixel isn't a huge ordeal, but we're talking about a $400-$500 purchase here and it comes defective.... they will fix it before I leave the store. Why? Because I will calmly point out that my credit card assures me I do not have to pay for defective merchandise. Do it the easy way, or I do it the hard way and keep the phone per my C.C.'s policy.

I have only done one chargeback, and they told me to not have contact with the company over the issue that they were handling it from here (legal issue I guess). I asked if they wanted me to ship the merchandise back to them or the company, they said neither.... do whatever I want with it from here.

Bottom line is that a defect is a defect. They can fix it, or you can do it the hard way and get it fixed. Apple has been really good about the iPhone and I hope they keep it up. No one wants to do anything the hard way, but it can be done.

11. 88Keys thread starter macrumors regular

88Keys

Great, thanks for the info everyone. I wasn't able to go Saturday(work) but I can go today. Yesterday was my last day for a return, would they give me any problems from being one day out of return day? I was in Tennessee last weekend and I went to the apple store there and the genius was gonna replace it but they didn't have any in stock. My fear is they will exchange it and I will get back worser screen. My screen now is very rich in color blacks are black whites are whites etc.

12. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

exchanged my phone today. APPLE HAS A ONE VISIBLE DEAD PIXEL Policy for full replacement. You just have to point it out and say you're not happy and they will give you a replacement. Only sucky part is you might get a refurb phone... so if you only have one deadpixel... consider that website to fix it... Would love to see what website that flashes dead pixels out is... sounds neat

13. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow night. I have two dead pixels that I can spot now, so I'm hoping they'll replace it. They don't bother me all that much, but when I want to resell it (for the next generation iPhone, or course) I imagine two dead pixels will effect the value.

14. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I took mine in and the guy at the Genius Bar looked at for a second, saw one dead pixel, and said he'd get me a replacement. It had to be ordered, but I'm pretty happy about having a brand new one after 3 months of use. Now that I've learned my lesson about how easy the chrome scratches, I can be more careful the second time around.