Stuck pixels in MBP 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macmel, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Macmel macrumors 6502

So, here's the thing:
    I bought a brand new MBP in December (got it in mid-January), so it's like 2 months old. It's a 15" Core i7 2.66 GHz antiglare-High res. screen.
    About two-three weeks ago, I noticed that the screen showed a permanent green dot close to the bottom right corner. I thought it was a stuck pixel (I still think it is) and did not worry much: these things happen, I only see it when the screen is very dark or black and the computer works perfectly otherwise. The problem is that two days ago I noticed another green pixel close to the original one, and ten minutes ago I noticed a red one close to the upper border of the screen. The weird thing is that the red one and the second green one seem to come and go: if I gently press the screen close to the second green one, it disappears, but comes again sortly after.
    The original green one is always there no matter what.
    Should I take the computer to the Apple Store? Is it worth it or could be more dangerous, going from a minor problem to a more serious one?
    Thanks in advance for your advice

2. Scalfani macrumors member

I purchased a macbook pro (13 inch) last weekend. When I got home I noticed one stuck pixel, it was purple. It was driving me crazy, so I went back to the apple store and told them my problem. I actually thought they were going to laugh at me for bringing it back for 1 stuck pixel. But to my surprise, the Apple employee noticed it right away and said it was unacceptable. He promptly replaced it with a new unit. Good story to that... but the new one has a level issue where it wobbles about 1 mm on a flat surface. I give up, and will keep this one (this debacle was also after 2 refurb returns that were defective).

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I have one on my MBP AG too. I never noticed these things on the glossy ones and I thought it was a thing of the past - guess not.

4. Macmel thread starter macrumors 6502

Right now, for example, the screen is perfect, but I'm pretty sure the problem will reappear. The thing is I won't be able to get a new one right away in case they decide to exchange it as this one is BTO (7200 rpm 500 Gb HDD, and english keyboard, which is not common here in France where I live). I don't think it's worth it to stay without my otherwise perfect computer for some time just for one dot that I rarely see.
    If things get worse, I'll do something about it.
    Thanks