Stuck pixels on new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crabb11, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Crabb11 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 15 inch from apple, loaded all my files onto it such as my itunes library, movies, documents etc, only to discover it has two stuck pixels on the screen two days later, which really annoy me. I have followed everything on the internet to fix them, but still no luck :(.

This is where I have a dilemma. I could return it but I will have to put all my files back (which will take ages), or I could send it into an apple store to fix. But since the nearest apple store is 2 hours away I would need them to fix it on the same day.

Does anyone know how long screen repairs like this take, or even if they will fix this for a two day old macbook pro?

Thanks

2. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

If you have an external hard drive, you can create a disk image of your current hard drive and then when you get the new one extract that image onto your new mbp.

If you don't, I would still say it would be worth it to get it exchanged, it's a lot of money you spent, what's a few more hours?

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I have a stuck pixel on my new MBP - choosing to live with it. Honestly, it's not that huge of a deal. My 2007 matte MBP had a stuck pixel too and two years later I sold it after I upgraded. Your MBP is not a permanent thing and things will only get worse w/ wear and tear.

I don't even notice mine until I read threads like these that remind me of it.

4. Crabb11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help guys, although I can return it, I will have to post it off to the seller I bought it from, this will be a hassle (sorry I forgot to mention this). I would prefer it if apple repaired the computer for me.

5. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I had the same thing happen. Took it into the apple store. They ordered the part then called me when it came in. I dropped the computer off and the next afternoon it was ready for pickup. I had a new iPad 2 to play with so I didn't miss it.

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

this is quite a rampant problem, i upgraded from a base 15" MBP 2011 to the high end one and two of them had stuck pixels (fortunately I set them up at the apple store because free wifi and also you can see if there are any problems). Apple let me exchange them and my current machine which I've had since Wednesday runs a treat, neither overheating nor lagging nor any strange issues.

I'd exchange it if i were you, open the new one in the apple store and change the desktop wallpaper to the solid colours so you can easily spot if there are any other stuck pixels.

spending so much money on a machine, you want it to be as near perfect as possible, no?

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Absolutely.

I am fortunate that my 13" has a perfect screen but if it didn't I'd be taking it back in a heartbeat.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

HOw come u wanted the high end? anythign wrong with the low end?

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Probably wanted the improved graphics chip.

10. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

iMacDragon is spot on; basically i just wanted the better graphics card. to spend an extra ~250 quid for just a .2GHz increase (and 250gb of HDD), even if it is quad-core, would have been silly lol

I'm very happy with the graphics card on this new one, and i would heartily recommend it.

if you do buy one, open it in store, download iStat right there, upgrade it and everything using their wifi, then change the backgrounds to solid colours to look for bad pixels, and keep an eye on the temps just in case it's one of the ones that overheats.

remember, apple have a 14 day no quibble return policy, so because you're spending so much money you should really make sure it's exactly what you want.