Stuck Power/Sleep Button!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by loonie89, May 16, 2012.

1. loonie89, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

loonie89 macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I recently woke up in the morning, and my sleep/power button is stuck in, like its just sunken. I see its an issue which occurs in quite a lot of iPhones. Mine is out of warranty so I want to fix it myself. I have the tools, but I'm not sure what part I actually need to buy to replace, is it the button itself or some kind of cable inside? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[EDIT] I've looked around and it seems I maybe need to buy a new Flex Cable, can anyone confirm this?

2. loonie89 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

The exact same thing happened to me! I was just sat down listening to music, i tapped the lock button, and it just jammed! If you press it hard enough it still works, but I'm still trying to find a fix. Going into DFU mode with it is VERY painful on my index finger...
    I have insurance on it, but I have to pay £75 (~$100) expense on any cliam, and my contracts due in a few months so there's not much point in paying them when I get a new phone in a few months.
    If I find a solution I'll post it here, and please let me know if you do as well :)

4. loonie89 thread starter macrumors newbie

At least yours works :)

Mine worked initially, having to push very hard, but now it's even stopped doing that. Thank god it's jail broken, I can at least reset it or lock is using sbsettings.

I'm set on fixing the hardware on mine, just not 100% sure on the parts, from what I read, it looks like its the flex cable that had to be fixed.

5. -MRB macrumors 6502

This happened to my iP4.

I took it into an Apple shop and they replaced it there and then :)

6. loonie89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly it's out of warranty :(

Anyone have an idea which part I need to replace?

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

It's still worth a shot man.. you never know if you don't try!

8. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Try booking an appointment with an Apple genie, they can make exceptions even if it's out of warranty. They might repair it for free.

Just make sure you argue your case well and you're super nice ;)