Stuck Shift Key

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ururk, Jun 21, 2017.

1. ururk macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2013 15” Retinia MacBook Pro (A1398) - and the shift key is stuck. Does anyone know of a way I can disable the internal keyboard or start target disk mode with the shift key stuck?

1) Holding down ’t’ does not put it in target disk mode, and I believe it doesn’t because the shift key is stuck

2) I cannot login as my password is being entered in all caps as the shift key is stuck

3) I can boot to the recovery partition, but I cannot use terminal since the shift key is stuck

4) Shift key is stuck in single user mode

Since this is an SSD laptop I cannot mount the drive in an enclosure and manually modify the system files needed to disable the internal keyboard (though OWC makes one).

I didn’t spill anything on the laptop. I took both shift keys off, and the membrane below looked OK.

The trackpad is mostly functional - but the battery has started to press on it again. Apple replaced the logic board twice under warranty, but they never replaced the battery even though the battery was swelling and pressing on the trackpad. The first time it was because the graphics chip was faulty (I had weird pixel patterns on my screen from time to time), the second time because the replacement logic board's thunderbolt ports didn't work. I'm officially out of the replacement logic boards warranty, and have been out of my AppleCare warranty for some time.

I don’t think the battery is located in the case where it would press on the keyboard, but figured I should mention that as a possible problem. I'm going to get a pentalobe screwdriver tomorrow, and will see what opening the bottom case reveals. I also set up an appointment at the Apple store to see what they would charge to repair it.

I'm not particularly happy about the battery swelling - that was the primary reason why I brought it in for repair, and I clearly noted (in writing) that the machine had to be used for a bit for the battery to swell noticeably - enough to prevent the trackpad from clicking. The problem resurfaced weeks after the (second) replacement motherboard warranty ran out. I'm not the kind of person to sue, but it makes me want to take Apple to court (and I'd probably lose, since it is up to their discretion on what parts to replace). That's just my frustration talking, I just feel that I've spent a lot on Apple hardware over the years (three laptops, a cinema display, numerous accessories, iPads, iPods, and always purchased Apple Care), the one time I really needed them to be there for me, they failed.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

John
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Quick update. Yesterday I was unable to remote desktop into the machine. However, I was just able to remote desktop into it and this is what I found:

1. I could login even though the shift key is stuck on the laptop
    2. When I bring up the keyboard viewer, it shows the shift keys as being depressed, and typing on the laptop ends up being in ALL CAPS.

I'm guessing this is a hardware problem, but am unsure if it is the battery or the logic board this time. I am skilled enough to do both, but might want to just save up some money for a new machine in 2018.

2. ururk thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed a utility (Karabiner) and by disabling one of the shift keys (it doesn't matter which) the problem goes away. Whichever shift key I disabled, the other one works as expected. I probably cannot restart the machine without going into safe mode (the app likely loads after boot).