Stuck system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Remixen, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Remixen macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a problem with the system on my macbook pro. Lately the system responds very slowly and I need to force quit most of my apps, especially any browser I use. I had this problem before, and I solved it with a clean install of OSX, but now it's back and I don't want a clean install every time this happens. Can I suspect a virus?

Repair permissons always get's this (every time):
    2011-01-31 14:32:59 +0100: Reparerte «System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0/libprofilerinterface.sl».
    2011-01-31 14:32:59 +0100: Ulike rettigheter på «System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterface.sl». Skal være -rwxr-xr-x , er -rw-r--r-- .

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact Mac OS X version on what exact MBP do you have? And how much RAM and free HDD capacity do you have?
    Btw, it is NOT a virus, as they don't exist.

3. Remixen thread starter macrumors member

Mac osx 10.6.6
    Macbook Pro 4.1 santa rosa, 2007-2008?
    4 GB ram (non apple)
    500 GB HD 23 GB free (non apple)

To add to the problem: I need to force the machine to turn off most of the time, and sometimes when I start it again it dosen't respond at all...
    Might it be connected to a hardware or software problem?

4. simsaladimbamba

The culprit is most likely you having less than 5% free HDD space, and it is recommended to have at least 10% to 20% free HDD capacity.

Have you tried repairing permissions or the disk via Disk Utility started from the Restore DVD?
    Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

5. Remixen, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Remixen thread starter macrumors member

6. Remixen thread starter macrumors member

Also my sound card have gone bad, it directs sound through my speakers when a headphone is connected and vise versa.

7. simsaladimbamba

It is called "bump", unless you wanted to dump something though.
    Anyway, have you freed up some HDD capacity, to at least 10%, or repaired permissions via Disk Utility started from the Restore or Retail DVD?

Do you still have Apple Care?
    Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Sound >> Output in both instances?