Stuck when going in sleep mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RestUnknown, Dec 19, 2015.

1. RestUnknown macrumors regular

Hi

When I close the lid of my Macbook Pro it sometimes gets stuck and the fans start spinning up. When I reopen the lid the screen just stays black and there is nothing I can do besides holding the power button.

This is a problem that has been going on for quite a long time, even before El Capitan so I don't know what can be the cause. There are no particular problems running (I even tried closing them all down before going to sleep and it still occurs).

Thanks

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

BLUEDOG314

Type Command+Shift+"G" to open go and type in /var/vm and hit enter. Trash and delete the sleep image file in the vm folder. It will likely be around the size of the ram in your computer. After this restart the machine, give it some time to start up, then put it to sleep and see if this fixes it. This forces it to recreate a new sleep image.

If that doesn't work type the following in terminal:
    sudo rm -r /library/caches/*
    sudo rm -r ~/library/caches/*
    Enter password when prompted after the first one. These just clear user and root library caches. Restart after this and try again with sleeping the machine as well.

Also, is there any weird processes running in activity monitor using up a lot of cpu or ram when you select show all processes?

3. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, I cleared the caches (there was no sleepimage in the vm folder (even not when enabling hidden files), I think a couple of years back I disabled the sleepimage with some commands in the terminal).

There are no processes running that seem odd to me or use a strange amount of CPU or RAM.

I'll let you know in some time if the problems persists or not.

4. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly the problem still exists...

5. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

BLUEDOG314

Right around the time why this happens (reproduce it if you have to) do you see anything unusual in console logs?