stuck with 3G, dealing with it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I got my 3G at christmas, and if i cant scrape the cash together to get the 600 dollar upgrade(i'm a douche and might get 600 together) i'm just gonna wait it out and get the new bling bling iphone next year. Think about jailbreaking, we will get video and voice dialing from that **** eventually. 3G doesn't suck completely! we shall overcome!

2. cridiron macrumors member

3. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why more people aren't selling their iPhone 3G in order to get a 3G. I sold my 16gb 3G for $340 today and i just pre-ordered the 32gb 3G. so in a round about sort of way the 32gb will cost me 159.00. Just put it on Craiglist...

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Unfortunately in my area it's not as easy unlike yours.

5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Or eBay it. If you are careful and put on buyer requirements. No non-paying bidders, no policy violators, no one with -1 or less feedback, no one without a Paypal account, and most importantly no international buyers you should be okay. Don't ship to a non verified address on Paypal. Paypal's seller protection policy is a bit better than it used to be. It does require that you have proof of delivery.

6. iNikon macrumors member

You poor thing. I feel so bad for you.

7. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

HEY!, i was not looking for sympathy, i was trying to tell current 3G users that our investment was not for nothing. We can get most 3G S featured via app store or jailbreak and we will cash in on next years iPhone for cheaper than 600!

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Come Friday the 3G will be O.B.S.O.L.E.T.E.

The 3GS will usher in a new era of mobile computing power.

Can't get that in a jailbreak ;)

(but i'm just kidding since they still sell the 3g)

9. Que macrumors 6502

ummm, because the 3g does everything i need a mobile phone to do. why spend money on features that i don't need yet? i've never used voice activated anything, i've never used or needed a video camera on a phone and i think i can live with the extra second or 2 it takes to open apps.

10. OriginalMasta macrumors member

This is directed at the general population with the belief they can "live" with their 3G. - just like the poor EDGE folks livin' with their iPhone 2G.

You can put it in your own perspective all you like, but the facts are as follows:

* You've never needed a "touch screen" device. Your first cell phone had 0-9 buttons and soft keys as well, you "lived" with that - but then the iPhone was introduced to the world, and you jumped on it like fly on shxt.

* your old keypad cellphone had a camera that sported a VGA resolution without autofocus, then the iPhone came out with a 2MP camera without autofocus and yet you "lived" with that.

* one of your old cell phones that supported a qwerty keypad also supported voice dialing - which amused you and you've never used it - mainly because it never worked properly and/or it just sucks. You learn to "live" with it.

* Your current iPhone 2G had EDGE but not high speed data like HSDPA support and yet, you've "lived" with it until the iPhone 3G came out and (some of) you jumped on it like flies on shxt.

Point being, you've "lived" with alot of shortcomings - no mms, no tethering, no voice dialing, no copy and paste, no multiple email attachments, no a2dp stereo bluetooth, and the list goes on.

You spend $20 on a data plan, but your current iPhone 2G (EDGE) blows chunks of shxt. You buy an iPhone 3G because it's faster and you dont' have to "live" with that turtle turd EDGE speed. So you spend $30 in total for that "faster" option.

You pretend the iPhone 3G doesn't have any "lag" - and the games don't crash because you have 128MB physical RAM and you don't need 256MB to prove any point - but you insist on the apps stop crashing.

Most of you wish the camera on the iPhone 3G/2G didn't suck asss_ but it does and sure, you don't need "video" because your current iPhone 3G doesn't support it. Sure you can jailbreak and use cycorder and the likes but it too sucks because you get 12fps.

Voice dialing does suck when it doesn't work correctly - you've used it before and you don't mind it missing on your iPhone 3G - until you witness how it is done well on the new 3GS.

Everything you have lived with on the 3G iPhone just fine and dandy. You don't yearn for more because you feel it's just enough for your own purposes. That's all fine.

WHAT BUGS ME THE MOST: I pay $299 for a 32GB - That's DOUBLE what my 16GB had for the SAME PRICE - but you throw in an almost 7x faster video graphics chip, 2x the overal UI speed performance enhancements due to the new CPU design, AND you throw in new autofocus camera with VIDEO AND EDITING.

I don't know about you, but I sure am NOT going to settle for the iPhone 3G when I can get a significantly better 3GS for the same price as my 16GB iPhone 3G - my biggest gripe is the UI is laggin' these days with 3.0 and just for the 2x in UI smoothness with 256MB RAM - less crashing on apps due to memory shortage, I'm very happy to move to the iPhone 3GS.

THERE'S JUST WAY TOO MANY IMPROVEMENTS TO IGNORE. I truly believe upgrading to the new 3GS is WORTH the price of admission. Sorry to say, but the iPhone 3G will become LESS popular than the 3GS because the current gen hardware won't keep up with the new 3GS apps - or just can't.

Bottom line is that if the iPhone 2G was so great, those guys wouldn't preorder and decide to upgrade to the 3GS. If the iPhone 3G was good enough, there would be no need to replace it with a faster parts. I'm sure the 2010 model will be a minor improvement since the cpu/gpu will be adequate. 2011, I'm sure something else will show up.

YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY!!

11. Totter macrumors newbie

I am getting the 3GS (But still keeping my 3G for keepsake). But I thought a software update is going to be in iTunes for free, am I right or wrong?

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow ego much?

i would love a 3gs, if it was free

13. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I bought a GPS unit on ebay a few weeks ago, it was never delivered to MY Po box and shows at PO waiting for pick up, the PO has no idea where it is.. Paypal sided with the seller lost my money and No gps as long as a item was SENT then paypal sides with them.

14. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

And this needs to be shared because?

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Let's be blunt here, the 3G S camera is also going to suck ass. I have had one mobile phone with a 'good' camera (as in, it took photos instantly that looked good enough to print or set as a wallpaper) and it had a lot more bells and whistles than the iPhone. The phone was in fact, mainly camera.

Haha

Yep, OS 3.0 is free to download for iPhones, costs for iPod touches though

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The 3G is still a very good phone ( I use it ) and I think with the 3.0 software much of these stupid bitching threads will end.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Last month I sold my iPhone 3G for $370. I've been using a 2G since and I am counting the days. The Edge network is worse than ever on AT&T because they're trying to appease brand new 3G customers.

I'm upset that they're restricting Voice Dial and other purely software improvements to 3GS.

That said, every iPhone is going to be a logical step forward. Every iPhone is a revolutionary device. Every iPhone can access the App Store. The user can live with the phone they have until they use the new generation. Once you've hands-on experienced 3GS it's gonna be hard to be content with iPhone 3G.

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

This guy went off the wall bonkers. Clearly PO'd the 3GS wasn't what he wanted it to be. You're going to get seriously PO'd when the 2010 iPhone comes out, dual core CPU, 512mb ram and a GPU to make the 3GS look like crap.

Poor thing, trying so hard to justify his fanboyism. Coulda saved a lot of money considering there will be barely any apps for the 3GS to "blow the 3G" away in.

Consider this, to develop for the 3GS ONLY would be abandoning a 40 million consumer base. Not only that, but the resources needed to make an app as good as you're touting it to be would require a lot more money than any developer has put into a single app yet. In the real video games industry games cost millions to produce, and to sell it on the app store to only 1-2 million consumers would be kamikaze for any company.

Lastly, don't know whether you're in the States or not, but AT&T isn't even rolling out 7.2 until late in the year and it will take through 2011 for them to finish. Depending upon where you live you'll get 2-3 months of 7.2 HSDPA before a brand new iPhone comes out and completely trashes the 3GS, with the possibility of 4G LTE.

So, to wrap it up....things you can look forward to with your 3GS:
    1) Looking like an idiot talking to your phone. No one ever uses voice dialing.

2) A compass....wow....a compass

3) It'll only take 1 second for you to open up SMS, instead of 3! :eek: Call Ripley's!

4) Video record.....oh....wait....jb 3G can do that. If you want a quality video recorded don't use a camera phone. Don't try and justify one camera phone over another when they both suck compared to any dedicated recording device. It just makes you look naive.

5) Months of complaining when the 4G iPhone comes out and you're stuck with a pitiful 3GS. :rolleyes:

19. soopamac macrumors member

I was debating on getting the 3gs or keeping the 3g. I decided to upgrade. It's the latest and greatest iPhone. Plus it is FASTER.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i will say for me, the 3g is way overkill for my needs

the iphone in general is

seriously debating moving to a cheapo phone again

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

As with every Apple product I've owned I am renting the hardware. I paid $599 for iPhone 2G then sold for $470. I paid $199 for iPhone sold for $370. This week I'll pay $299 for iPhone 3GS.

22. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

23. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I'm with you,

i don't feel like falling prey to CRAPPY AT&T. I will not be able to get the 'cheaper' price until April of 2010. Which should be right around the time the damn exclusive contract with them ends.

Verizon :eek:

24. trssho macrumors 6502

Once the comparisons start popping up, you will have to order the 3G S.