Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

castlesinthesky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Dear all,

I've got a major headache that I hope some of you can suggest in helping to solve my problem.

I'm about to upgrade to Snow leopard and I've just got a new 500gb hard drive that i want to replace with my existing drive on my mbp. There lies in my problem.

I've partitioned my current hard drive into 3 portions and I have absolutely no idea how to go about backing them up and then subsequently restoring them on the new hard drive.I know about carbon copy cloner and the other alternatives, but it seems that I can only clone one "bootable" volume for me to work on.

What makes my problem worst is that I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard as well and at the same hope to do

Here's a brief summary on my headache
-New hard drive that I want to put in
-Want to port over my data to the new hard drive but am currently partitioned on my current hard drive and have no idea how to "clone" the entire drive over.
-Want to upgrade to Snow leopard, but am opting to do the clean install method.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I've googled all over and can't seem to find a conclusive solution to my headache and I am absolutely new to how I should upgrade from one OS to another version in Mac. I would really appreciate it if some kind soul or guru could give me a step by step walkthrough on how i can transfer my data to my spanking new hard drive and yet at the same time ensure that Snow Leopard is installed on it as clean as it can be.

Really am thanking you guys in advance for any suggested solutions.:)

castlesinthesky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Dear all,

I've got a major headache that I hope some of you can suggest in helping to solve my problem.

I'm about to upgrade to Snow leopard and I've just got a new 500gb hard drive that i want to replace with my existing drive on my mbp. There lies in my problem.

I've partitioned my current hard drive into 3 portions and I have absolutely no idea how to go about backing them up and then subsequently restoring them on the new hard drive.I know about carbon copy cloner and the other alternatives, but it seems that I can only clone one "bootable" volume for me to work on.

What makes my problem worst is that I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard as well and at the same hope to do

Here's a brief summary on my headache
-New hard drive that I want to put in
-Want to port over my data to the new hard drive but am currently partitioned on my current hard drive and have no idea how to "clone" the entire drive over.
-Want to upgrade to Snow leopard, but am opting to do the clean install method.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I've googled all over and can't seem to find a conclusive solution to my headache and I am absolutely new to how I should upgrade from one OS to another version in Mac. I would really appreciate it if some kind soul or guru could give me a step by step walkthrough on how i can transfer my data to my spanking new hard drive and yet at the same time ensure that Snow Leopard is installed on it as clean as it can be.

Really am thanking you guys in advance for any suggested solutions.:)

Hi anyone...any suggestions to my dilemma?

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
You need an external usb/firewire enclosure to put your new drive in.
I use something similar to this for ease of swapping drives...

link

If you want to keep your partition scheme then create partitions and format the external drive.

Use superduper to copy each partition to their respective new (and bigger) partitions on the new drive. Make sure superduper makes the external bootable for backup purposes (try booting off it to make sure)

Then it's a case of swapping the internal with the new external drive.

Once happy, your old internal is now your backup drive if SL install screws up. Now go ahead and install SL then migrate your data from the old internal drive as required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.