Student 3 year warranty??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canedrive, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Canedrive macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has anyone bought a MBP since the refresh with a student discount and definitively got the extended 3 year warranty?

I can get Apple Care for £50 but won't bother if the extended deal is still in place.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think Apple has changed that. It's only 50£ because it only adds phone support.

3. Canedrive thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I Googled it the other day and discovered a few threads on other sites claiming it had been discontinued.

I'd just love to know for sure before I commit to buy.

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Just checked the student pages and the complimentary 3-year warranty is still there.

Attached Files:

5. macbookprose macrumors newbie

?? This is the first I've heard of this. I didn't need to buy Apple Care?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only if you buy it from UK Higher Education store. They carry a 3-year warranty as standard, otherwise it's 1 year.

7. peetyrd macrumors newbie

Its not free. Its just at a reduced price for students. $240 instead of $350 for MBPs.

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yep. Just to add the ~£50 is not a reduced price of AppleCare but an upgrade from the HE warranty to the full AppleCare. ie. a 2-year extension of phone support.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

UK HE Students have to be offered 3 year warranties as standard online or over the phone my Apple until 30th September 2011. After that it depends if Apple renew the HE Contract they signed.

This is not the case in store- a 3 year warranty is not standard.

See- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

10. jama12uk macrumors newbie

Discount

The following applies to uk students only and is 100% accurate.

If a university student accesses the apple education store whilst on the Uni network the information states that all mac computer purchases come with a standard 3 year warranty. This same deal applies on the phone. The student can take out H.E. Uplift but must be purchased at the same time as the mac (Unlike apple care it cannot be added later). The H.E. uplift extends the phone support for 3 years and also if the mac fails it will be collected and delivered to apple at no cost to the user (Handy if you are not near an apple store).

The in-store discount gives the UK university student the same level of discount on the product itself and regular apple care can be purchased for £47/48 (The mac must be returned to the apple shop for repair or the user must pay for postage). The free 3 year warranty is not applicable in store.