Student ADC Membership?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Damien, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Damien macrumors regular

What do you actually get with a Student ADC membership, why fork over £80 (0r £99, cant remember)?

I heard about bigger discounts than Education Store but does it have bigger discounts than the Higher Education Store? (Which is cheaper than Edu store!)?

:apple:

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

wow how many times has this been mentioned.

dev discounts are radically better than all education discounts. you can see for yourself on the appropriate adc page.

you also get the latest OS and get a chance to apply for the wwdc scholarship. well worth the money if you're interested in any of the three, otherwise not.

edit: let me be more clear - dev discounts are generally better than edu discounts, but the discounts are larger the more.."pro" the computer is - e.g. MBP and Mac Pros have way better discounts than MacBooks and iMacs.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Also you get a free T-Shirt :D

And you get a CD every month with sample code and stuff.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

please don't tell me i'm the only one who got an obscenely large shirt. i don't ever remember choosing a shirt size..

as for the CD, it might as well be a coaster. It's useful for people who can't download them, otherwise..

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah the shirt is huge.

I use the CD, although its all available online its easier for me to take it straight of the disc.

My ADSL connection only runs at 5MB after all.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

My shirt was too small!!! The main reason I got it was that it saved me $200 (300-memberhsip) off my MBP compared to the education store. Plus, hopefully will get Leopard through it for another$70 savings.

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

The HE discounts in the UK (OP is in Canterbury) are different from the U.S. edu discounts. I think percentage-wise UK HE discounts are higher than US EDU discounts, in which case, depending on the percentage discount offered in the ADC store, it might not be as worth it or worth it at all.

To the OP: Add "[UK]" or something to the original thread title and see if you can find someone in the UK with an ADC membership.

Unfortunately there is only an online ADC store for the US and Canada so you can't compare prices directly. Directions about purchasing in Europe say basically that you have to join, configure something, and then call an Apple Agent directly to purchase the machine.

You may want to try to call the UK number on tha page and see if they'll give you a quote on the system you want before you join and just tell them upfront you're wondering if it's worthwhile to join.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

What size was it? I think I got like an XL or something. Can we trade? :p

HE discounts are as high as 20%?

The edu discounts for MBP and Mac Pros don't even come close to the dev discounts. Unless the HE discount is amazingly high, odds are the OP would save money purchasing the membership if the OP is buying a pro machine, and to get a copy of Leopard out of the deal too.

Plus it's the only route to get a WWDC scholarship if you're interested...

9. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Depends what you want to buy. If it's a mac pro of macbook pro than you'll save a pretty penny with the ADC discount over the normal EDU discount (even after the membership fee). But if it's a macbook or iMac you want, you're better off just buying from the EDU store.

10. jng macrumors 65816

jng

One thing I hate about MR is people who are smart alacks and just assume things instead of looking a bit deeper and offering to help. I stopped posting/reading for awhile because I started becoming one of them.

Consumer laws and taxes vary from country to country. And actually the discount IS comparable.

If a student is enrolled in a National Union of Students (NUS) University and purchases through special on campus store, the student receives an (on average) discount of 15% according to one thread.

And we don't know that the UK discount is at 20%. It's not listed anywhere. In fact, it's not listed for the US purchases either. People just do the math and figured it out.

Apple could change it. And it could be different in different countries.

The OP should still call and ask for a quote. It's not a given that ADC (with membership fee) is cheaper.

And maybe the OP would prefer a Macbook.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

and if you read ANY of the rest of my posts in this thread, I said it's not worth it no matter what discount you're comparing it to if you're not getting a pro machine (read: pimped out MBP or Mac Pro with a cinema display kind of "pro" machine) unless you're getting ADC for WWDC or Leopard in addition to the discount. Unless you get free copies of Leopard with the HE discount, that's already some money saved (dunno the price, but US edu is $69 vs. $129 retail) if you can stand to not have leopard for a few weeks.

My #1 problem with this thread? There is already a much larger, more well established thread on this subject WITH price comparisons at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=310776 like the HE one with all the MBP prices at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3769078&postcount=88

I am aware that not all educational or developer discounts are the same worldwide, if you can even get them. I am aware that there are drawbacks both ways - ADC means no Back to School, HE means free AppleCare, ...but depending on the machine you may be able to save more money with the ADC discount.

Plus, like the educational discounts, ADC depends on the hardware and is not a flat 20%. However, discounts that high are typical of the pro machines in the US ADC store.

I have never stated in this thread that the OP should just go out and get a dev discount on some hardware without even digging around. It's almost insane to take the advice of some random person on some random forum not even from the same country blabbing on about discounts without doing some research into it. That is a given.

12. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

For a general feel I got a 15 inch MBP 2.4GHz and opted for a 7200rpm 160GB hard drive. (Well I will do when they decide to ship it)

Normal Price: £1699
    Education: £1444
    ADC: £1358

13. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I got an obscenely SMALL t-shirt. Had to give it to my girlfriend, and it barely fit her...

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

WTF. I wear medium/large shirts. The one I got was practically big enough to fit two of me at the same time.

I tried to wear it once, but it was obviously too big and quite annoying. Nowadays I just wear it to sleep cause it's so big :p

15. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Mine was XXL I think, being only a L it looked rather stupid.

has " I :apple: code" on the front :D

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

i know, i love it. a lot of the dev shirts are funny/great/cute. i just wish this one FIT :(

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Short of exchanging the shirt, other viable options include over-indulging oneself until the t-shirt fits. ;)

18. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Yes, if you're buying something expensive you generally (not always) get more off with the ADC discount than with the HE one:

However, you don't get the iPod deal (which admittedly hasn't even started yet in the UK), and iirc you don't get the free 3 year warranty either. If the iPod deal is the same in the UK as it is in the US, then I reckon it's probably worth getting the HE discount instead.