Student Apple Developer Program

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have been looking into joining the Student Apple Developer programme, but I have heard conflicting things so I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

I am a HE student and I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro and a mac pro, and I get around 14% off these anyway through the HE store. I have heard on here that the Apple Developer discount is around 20%, but Apple Sales tell me that my HE discount is more than the ADC discount.

Can someone clarify please? (I am in UK, don't know if this helps).

Thanks

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I could be wrong, but I remember reading the ADC contract, and any Apple HW purchase you make has no warranty whatsoever. So if after 14 days, something happens... you're on your own (and that can be pricey).

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

If anyone else could shed some light on this, it would be useful. Just phoned Apple Sales again, and they gave me an actual quote for the Mac Pro I'm looking to buy, and the discount with ADC is actually 20%, whereas the discount with HE is 16%.

However, if I buy using the ADC discount, although I will save an extra £79, the Apple Care (if I choose to buy it), would be £199, whereas with HE discount the Apple Care is £58.

He did not state (despite asking), whether or not the system came with their standard 1 year warranty. Can anyone confirm this?

4. caeneal macrumors member

Why not just buy your computer thru the ADC store, then switch over to the education store to buy the applecare? No reason to buy them at the same time, is there?

But yes, both the ADC and the Higher ED purchases will come with the 1 year of service. If you look at the apple store's web site, it will clearly say that you get the "90 days comp. support, and 1 year limited..." down at the bottom of the item where it's asking you to get applecare.

~C

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. Hadn't thought of that. The only reason I am looking to buy through ADC is because my Mac Pro with 2 23" ACD's would cost £2545, whereas the HE price would be £2696, and the Normal store price would be £3148 :eek:

6. powerchord macrumors member

It depends on what you plan to buy. You will get more of a discount if you purchase a higher-end MBP (compared to your Education discount), otherwise the difference will be slight on the lower-end models.

As for warranty for an ADC Hardware Purchase, it stipulates
    "All products are accompanied by Apple's standard limited hardware warranty for those products."

That's why it would be a good idea to invest in AppleCare.

Good luck!

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Buy the highest-end machine through ADC to get the most out of the discount. Buy AppleCare and most software with the Educational discount. Also, according to the ADC store website, every Mac comes with 1 year warranty and 90 days phone support just as it is listed in the regular and Education stores.

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. I was going to go with the Mac Pro through the ADC store and then as an above poster suggested, buy the Apple Care through the ed store. I'm going to try and haggle before I do that though....always worth a try.

9. conancn macrumors member

lol, rubbish.

10. conancn macrumors member

you can only purchase 1cpu with your ADC student membership. Calc the payout and buy one in ADC and the other in HE

11. sfs macrumors member

You guys are the greatest! I was going to spend $3333 on my new MBP, but now I'm under $3k even with AppleCare!
    Having read the ADC contract just this evening, I can guarantee you that any ADC purchases do in fact offer the standard warranty, and are eligible for AppleCare from any store. As I can't find anything in any of the documentation that would lead me to believe that an ADC MBP would not be covered under HE's AppleCare, I believe that getting the computer from ADC and everything else from HE is probably the cheapest route available.

Thanks for posting, guys! You've saved me almost $400.

12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Don't forget to calculate the cost of joining the ADC Programme in the first place.

I worked out that my Mac Pro on its own would cost me £1666 with HE discount and £1587 with ADC discount, therefore after paying to join the ADC program, I'd only be saving £10 :(

13. OMGWTFBBQ macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Regarding the sign-up process

So I signed up for the ADC student membership on the 8th, and now on the 13th I have yet to receive a verification # nor an email dictating that I should fax in my student ID + schedule. While I have access to my "Assets" area in the ADC membership area, all it says is "ADC Student Membership (pending)." Should I be worried? Thanks.

PS I found online the apple ADC fax number, do you think it would be prudent to just fax it in without the verification email?

:confused:

14. KiDFuZioN macrumors newbie

Yeah just fax it in. Make sure you list your ADC number and include all your information in the fax so they can verify it quicker.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Education ADC only permits a single CPU discount per lifetime. You may purchase the AppleCare on eBay for a real savings and it will cover ACDisplay+PComputer on the same Invoice.

16. OMGWTFBBQ macrumors member

OMGWTFBBQ

Should I do this even though I haven't received a verification #? Should I have received a verification # immediately after having purchased the student membership? Thanks

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I don't think I did, I just sent in my fax, then I was verified.