Student backpack/case questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blumpkinson, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Blumpkinson macrumors newbie

I'm going back to school this coming semester and i've saved up enough money working construction to purchase a 15" base model. I've never lived at a university so i've never needed to carry a laptop with me anywhere. I plan on bringing it with me to the library for homework/study groups and some of my classes. So i'll definitely need something to keep this $2,000 investment safe and free of scratches/dents.

I'm definitely going to need a backpack to hold the laptop and books. I've been looking at northface and while they're at the top of my price range they seem really sturdy. I will be carrying around math/physics books and notebooks so it needs to be able to fit quite a bit along with the laptop. Any other suggestions for good reasonably price backpacks?

I've also been looking at sleeves and cases for it. I'm not sure how necessary these would be since i will be carrying it in the backpack. If it is a good idea, i've been looking at booq cases which look good and seem to be really sturdy. Any suggestions for my situation?

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

In college I carried my 15" macbook pro around within a sleeve inside my backpack. It makes it easy to carry and the sleeve protects it from scratches/dents.

HERE is a link to many different kinds.

And HERE is the sleeve I used. I loved it because it had more padding than most other sleeves and it opened from the top so i never even had to pull the sleeve out of my bag.

The sleeve was worth every penny and lasted all 4 years of college. In fact, it's been almost 6 years since I bought it and it's still going strong and looks brand new.

3. Blumpkinson thread starter macrumors newbie

Did the backpack you used have a protected area for a laptop?

Seems like the padded area in the backpacks designed for laptops would be plenty to protect it.

4. Sanderr macrumors regular

without a doubt, get this one:

http://www.udggear.com/shop/product.asp?s=E42315CF42AF4038AC03232D3738AE1A&pid=314

It is the best bag of any type I have ever had. What's best is that is very cheap for what you get. The things I love about it most:

-Looks like a regular backpack, so no-one would think you are carrying something expensive in there.
    -Comes with very handy pockets. (on the backside a big pocket for cd's, documents, you name it. big main compartiment with some pen & paper holders and accessories like ipods. and a top pocket which cannot be seen nor found by people that don't know it's there to store passports and stuff when traveling.)
    -Waterproof (even in heavy showers after an hour the inside was still completely dry)
    -The zippers, which is the first thing that breaks down on all my bags, is VERY solid. So you can fill the bag to the fullest and not worry about them.
    -and lastly, you get a free sleeve for it! holds up to 17 inch macbook pro's and has side & internal pockets that can be closed with a velcro to store your power adapters, usb-sticks etc.

That all for the price of an eastpak, can't go wrong :)

5. tangje macrumors newbie

When I used to haul my 15" Toshiba around campus I used a Crumpler bag that had a built in, but removable, sleeve. It was a great bag. Still have it, but will probably look to unload it since my MBA would be swimming inside it. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

6. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

For the last two years of school, I've been using a North Face backpack with a notebook sleeve (Hot Shot II SE) AND an incase sleeve, and it did the job pretty well. That was with my black macbook; I just got a 15" uMBP and I think I might go with a sleeve again, just to give it the extra protection.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Swiss gear is the way to go.
    http://www.amazon.com/SYNERGY-SwissGear-Wenger-Computer-Backpack/dp/B000NONHYY

[​IMG]

That is the bag that a lot of people used. My bother and GF use it for their laptops. I have a different model Swiss Gear backpack that was given to me so I do not have the Synergy model but it still is great. It has a pad pocket for laptops.

These bags hold my 15 in laptop really well. I am huge fan of Swiss Gear and really recommend the Synergy model.

8. Blumpkinson thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you use only the pocket included or a separate sleeve/case for added protection?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Everyone I know who uses that backpack only uses the built in padded pocket. That backpack is a tank and pretty well padded and it keeps the laptop from bouncing around.

My brother and I both I know will drop out backpack with the laptops in them off our backs to either our bed or couch. Hell honestly I do not changed how I set the bag down or put it someplace weather or not the laptop is in it. Yeah I take a little car but it still gets set into my trunk, or slightly tossed into the passenger seat. I do not worry if I slam on the breaks and the bag rolls off the seat into floor of the car or rolls around in my trunk.

It protects it well enough. My brothers macbook still is working great after a few years of abused. This is including being protected by just the back pack when he rolled his car at 70 mph. with it being set in a rear with some heavier objects that rolled bounced around in it.

10. Sanderr macrumors regular

Everyone try that please and post result pics!:D

11. sadcamper macrumors regular

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sorry I do not have any good pictures of the aftermath of the car. Just the roof of the passenger side of the accord was down to about shoulder level when seating in the driver seat. He walk away with just some scratch. The bike frame in the back seat has a dent in it but the laptop and the SwissGear Backpack with laptop were just fine and still in use today.

13. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I carry my MBP with me all day, so I use a Targus backpack with laptop protection and a Case Logic Reversible sleeve, and have been using it for the last 4 years. Never had a dent or scratch.

14. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I use Oakley Kitchen Sink

[​IMG]

With Timbuk2 Envelop

[​IMG]

I switched to this set up after trying to stick to messenger bags only, but I find the backpack to be a lot more useful now that I am back in school full time.
    I have gone through 2 OGIO backpacks and Booq backpack before moving to Oakley Kitchen Sink after seeing a friend use it and this backpack is going to me the next 8 more years of school and all the pockets are very nice. But more than likely I will switch after a few years as I always find something I want more.

15. ptsube macrumors 6502

I have this backpack, and I also use a Case Logic sleeve. $2000 for a laptop, might as well add a $20 sleeve.

16. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I use a BBP industries backpack and love it. Combined with a Booq Taipan Skin, it provides great protection.

17. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Not all backpacks are created equal, so please actually test a backpack with your equipment in it before you buy, your back will thank you in 20 years time.

Incidentally, you might want to consider insuring your laptop and kit.

18. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that seems like a pretty big back pack but it is costly pushing near 200 bucks to get one.

20. Blumpkinson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's alittle out of my price range. I'm hoping that the northface will be big enough since i can't see it in person before.

21. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Here my backpack and sleeve.

Attached Files:

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what is your price range and what bag did you go after?

I am still saying go after the one I suggested but that is from first hand experience with it.

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Spireusa.com

Probably on the best backpacks you can buy. Made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. They include a hard sleeve made for the size of laptop you own as well. The style is more traditional yet does not look like the everyday swiss gear backpack nor the overly conservative obviously laptop backpacks like those from incase.

Definitely look around the web though for good prices cause they are high if bought through their website.

24. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

This is exactly what I do right now. I wouldn't change it up for anything right now.