Student bets scholarship if they dont win championship

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dukebound85, Mar 9, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She should lose her scholarship for that. It shows she doesn't deserve or value it at all.

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Agree.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds like she doesn't deserve that scholarship at all.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Did any of you even read the article? She is not "betting" her scholarship. She has said she will repay her scholarship if the team looses. That is not the same as betting it.

I'm guessing it was a basketball scholarship. She apparently feels that if the team looses, then she does not deserve the money she was given, and thus she's pledged to pay it back. How, pray tell, is that indicative of her not deserving or appreciating it?

From the thread title I was expecting some idiot that bet their scholarship with a friend on the outcome of a game. This is very, very different...

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They don't recruit athletes for their academic achievements, shes probably dumb as a box of rocks. Our university had courses "tailored" to athletes so that they didn't go into academic probation. In regular classes they were also allowed to take their tests outside of class time with an assistant (guess who helped answer the questions?)

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

I'm actually a Ph.D. student at Oklahoma. Courtney Paris is one of the more upstanding collegiate athletes that we have had in recent years and a good student. She is certainly not as dumb as a box of rocks. She has a passion to play and believes in her team. I have no problem with her offering to pay back her scholarship is they lose ... it certainly shows me that she values its importance a hell of a lot more than some of the idiot student athletes who get in trouble with the law and take a free education for granted.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think it's stupid, but I also don't think it should be against the rules, so I guess it's OK if she's that confident.

But someone really should tell her that reality bites. There's no such thing as free money, and this is as close to free money as she's ever going to get. Why give up one of the only occasions where this will happen?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I found the article a pretty interesting read... especially in light of the "one and done" players on the men's side. For many of them, the interest is only in auditioning for the NBA.

I don't doubt the sincerity... even if the statements are perhaps a little ill-advised. Too much room for misunderstanding, which is evident ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well now that OU lost, you think she will follow through?

i swear, how stupid can one be? there's nothing at all to be gained

11. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Update here

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not sure what your basis for this claim is, but you're way off-base.

I'm a graduate of OU and a former employee of the athletic department. I can assure you that classes are in no way "tailored" to anybody - I took classes with some of our athletes in several different sports, and it's the exact same class whether an athlete is enrolled or not.

As for taking tests outside of class time - if you bothered to pay attention, you'd notice that several athletes are not in class every single day, most frequently due to practice or travel schedules. There's nothing underhanded about this. The reason an assistant is present during the athlete's test is for the same reason a professor is present during everyone else's test - someone has to actually administer the test and answer questions if needed. The testing assistant is most often the professor's graduate assistant, who is held to the same ethical standards regarding cheating that the professor is.

These policies are not only normal, they are mandated by the NCAA.

I know it's easy for someone to shoot his/her mouth off at what they "think" happens in the athletic department, but until you've been there and lived it, it would be nice if you checked your facts first.

13. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I agree with your facts here. I feel that often, student athletes are unfairly given a bad rap for things that are out of their control.

That being said, it's no secret that athletes at D1 schools get (sometimes rediculous) special treatment. I worked at my Universities TV station, focusing on sports coverage, so I had a lot of exposure to this, and I spent a lot of time at the athletic department. At the University of Hartford, it would be difficult to say that everyone is treated equally. For example, freshman athletes are given senior housing. Also, while athletes are mostly in the same classes, their actual experience in class is watered down, they miss many classes (which may or may not be related to practice or work out time in any given instance), and the testing is indeed done differently - my roomate worked as a tutor, and most of his students were athletes getting assisted with their exams, just like what was mentioned earlier in this thread - it isn't always the TA or the grad assistant.

And it goes beyond housing and classes. The university pays for segways which are given to just about all the athletes in the program. This is, in my opinion, an atrocious use of school funding. I have also had the unique opportunity to look inside the men's locker room (used only for baseball and basketball) - I couldn't count the number of HDTVs on two hands. For reference, many of my classes still used ancient standalone projectors for their slides. Yeah, the University of Hartford isn't well-known across the country for their academics or their athletics, but come on guys!

Just like in the real world, athletes are treated differently, and as a result, are held to a different set of rules and standards. Often, this results in a group of people totally ostracized by the community around them - whether they know/care or not. They live in a bubble, get the bare minimum of an education, and then head to the pros - as long as they're in the top 2-3% :rolleyes:. I consider this not only a disservice to the individual and the university, but to America as a whole as well.

14. Fake Hipster macrumors member

From her speech:

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if they lose. Then I'm gonna punch her in the face.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I'm confused.... They did lose, already. :confused:

So she wants to pay back her scholarship. The University of Michigan at times has guilt tripped me by implying I had an obligation to pay back my scholarships via donations to the University. If she wants to pay back her scholarship into their alumni scholarship fund, more power to her. I don't see how it's such a big deal.

And the article is kind of ridiculous also, in the sense that they were observing how difficult the payback would be for her to pay her $64k scholarship on WNBA salaries of "less than $100,000 a year." Please. People incur much larger student loans and don't make six figure incomes.

It seems that her values dictate she should pay the University for the money they invested in her. I don't see anything hugely ignoble in that.

17. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Easy big guy. And anyways, its over. They lost, the real question is whether or not you will live up to your promise like she did...

18. sbauer macrumors member

They're not going to accept her payments. I don't know why everyone is so over the top about this. It's basically her way of saying that she didn't take anything for granted, and wanted to try her best to accomplish what they asked of her.

Not a big deal.

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hope shes smart enough to not do it regardless of what she said

20. sbauer macrumors member

It doesn't matter. They're not going to accept the payments.

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

how do you know that?

she did state that she still has every intention of paying it

22. sbauer macrumors member

There are many reasons. 1) How is the school going to handle a repayment of an account that has a balance of zero? Have you tried paying off a credit card that doesn't have a balance? 2) School PR. They're not going to let a kid repay the scholarship that they offered and signed. It does not look good. She is a kid at 22 and she clearly got caught up in the moment.

That's nice and all. I have every intention of paying my parents $20k for raising me well, but that doesn't mean they're going to accept it.

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I only wish I could have gotten a scholarship. That ungrateful S.o.W. should loose her scholarship. It should go to someone who wont bet it on a stupid game.

24. sbauer macrumors member

I'm not sure how you link ungrateful to what she did. She was trying to show how grateful she actually was. According to her, there were two sides to the deal: they'll pay the bill, and she'll help win a championship. She felt that she didn't complete her side of the bargain. Maybe it wasn't the best thing to say, yes. Ungrateful would be taking the scholarship, and not caring about anything.

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That scholarship is meant as a vehicle for learning. If she did not get a scholarship for that reason (IE because she is good at sports) then I personally think she did not deserve it. Of course it is not really my place to say waht people do and do not deserve, it's just my opinion.

Maybe if they don't win the championship, she takes her scholarship and gets educated.