Student Camera DSLR set-up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by keno190, Dec 18, 2011.

1. keno190 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a DSLR set-up. I have around a grand for it now. I can put in more money into equipment later on in the year though. I've lurked around and surmised that it's best to get a cheaper body and a better lens when the setup is constrained by a budget. I'd like to go into the Canon brand because that's what I've been used to using in school. I've dabbled with the xti, xs, and t3i.

I don't know what I like to shoot, but I would really want to take snapshots of indoor and outdoor track & field events. I'm on the school's team and it's my last year to capture to memories before I graduate.

tl;dr. I have a grand and would like to buy a Canon DSLR.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I assume you're talking dollars?

I'm from the UK so not too sure on your currency differences but I reckon with that you should be able to get a T2i or t3i with a kit lens and then hopefully have some money left over for the cheap but great value 50mm f1.8.

Depending on how much you know about photography I don't know if you will initially realise the great things about the 50mm but also the drawbacks?

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Spooky I was going to suggest one of the rebels and the exact same lenses, that set up will cover a lot of ground, great if your just starting, I'd also throw in a cheap hot shoe flash if you can pick one up.

5. keno190 thread starter macrumors newbie

what if I can get a used 40d with a 28-135 for 775. Should I pull the trigger on that one instead or grow with a t3i. I know the 40d doesn't have video.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

A newer DSLR is going to have better low light performance.

That's one of the main standouts between our older Canon SLR and our newer 7D.

The 40D has an ISO range of 100-1600 (with 3200 enhanced ISO) while the T3i has a range of 100-6400 (with a 12800 enhanced ISO).

Also, the T3i has the cool flip around screen.

The 28-135 lens takes decent photos for a kit lens but has a serious creep problem (the lens is always falling into the fully extended position even at a slight downward tilt). It's not the end of the world, but it is a real pain sometimes.

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

The 40D is a faster camera (6.5fps) with better autofocus and ergonomics.

The t3i will have a better sensor, more modern processor, and all the modern bells and whistles, video etc, it will probably take better photos for you, with less effort on your behalf.

That's not to say the 40D won't take great shots, it takes fantastic pics given the right technique, conditions and setup - but I think the modern sensor of the t3i will get you out of trouble on a lot more occasions than the 40D.

If you do want an older used camera - my vote would go towards a Pentax K10D or K20D, which are imo better equipped cameras (excluding AF and FPS) that can be had for significantly less than $775.

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I have a 40D (upgraded from a 10D) and think it's a great camera. It is a bit older but has the advantage of being a real DSLR, not a Rebel. It has the same basic layout for buttons and wheels and settings as the current cameras, it's just a little bit more limited in terms of low light and megapixels (but haven't we all read enough articles about those?).

If you are thinking about eventually upgrading to a 60D, 7D, 5D, 1D, or their future equivalents then the 40D is the way to go as you'll already know how the camera is set up, well except for the 1D which is just… different. The Rebel has a different control layout and also, at least for me, feels too small and light.

In case you hadn't noticed I really don't like the Rebels.

EDIT: Also, the t3i doesn't have a PC sync port if that's important to you, which will make using strobes a little bit more difficult.

9. keno190, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

keno190 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. I can actually snag a 60D body only for $640 from a friend. I'm definitely getting this now.

Now the questions is, what lens should I get with it thats still under the $1000 after the 60D is purchased. A nifty 50? 18-135?

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I've got that exact setup 60d + 18-135mm
    kit lens is good, albeit a bit slow for my usage, so i bought a 50mm f1.8 which is great.

the difference between the 60d and the 550d/600d is very little i think. the 60d is a little easier to use, and feels better in my hand.

do remember that for outdoor sports photography you've got to get that fat wallet out, couse your going to need a long range lens like a 300 or 500mm with a wide aperture to be fast enuogh not to blurr out

11. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Truthfully, save an get a used 70-400 f/4L if the price is right. It's entirely too long on the short end for an everyday lens, IMHO, but if you want to do track in field it's one of the best Canon zooms you can buy for the price. Not to mention, it's a cool white color.

I have a 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKI and I love it, but even shooting with a 30D with the 1.6 APS-C sensor it was almost too short to shoot bikes at a track day where I could stand right at the tire barrier on the inside corner of a track. For track and field events, it'll probably still be too short. Unfortunately, other than a tele convertor, your options for long lenses that are good quality and not outrageously expensive are very limited.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's a pretty good setup right there, that would definitely start you off well.

Get the 18-135 and 50 f1.8 together if you can, the 50mm can be found for INCREDIBLY cheap now, just gotta look hard enough.