Student deal?! and MacBookPro and questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DKGirl04, Jul 29, 2011.

1. DKGirl04 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Dell. I got it in 2008 and I already feel like it is getting old. The battery is dead and I had to buy a new adapter this week. I am thinking about switching to a MacBookPro. I am a grad student so I could get the student deal which save maybe 100$ with Apple. I heard that last year, Apple had a deal, buy a MacBookPro get an iPod touch. This year the deal online is buy a MacBookPro get a 100$ gift card. I am wondering if the offer with the iPod touch will come back as I would much prefer this one? Does anyone of you know if it will come back?

Also, with my laptop, I mostly surf the internet, write papers, check emails, listen to music but I also watch TV on it so should I get a 13'' or a 15''?

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I doubt the deal with the iPod touch will come back. From what I've seen, Apple only offers one Back to School special per year. As for which size, it depends on what you want. If you don't need the extra portability, I'd definitely go for the 15", as I think it would be nicer for watching TV. I have a 15" 2008 MacBook Pro, and I love it. For me it seems like the perfect size, but I also do graphic design work. I had a smaller PowerBook before and I really like the 15" much better.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I doubt it ever will come back, unless they have a surplus of iPod touches next year that they would really like to get rid of, but I'm guessing that won't happen.

It really does suck that they switched from the free iPod deal, I was planning on buying a mac for college using that deal when the time came. Now all I will get is a gift card which will take me ages to use. Oh well..

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

baseline 15" HR AG should do it :). I think you'll be fine with either 13" or 15".

5. cinek macrumors 6502

you'll probably save around $200 with your student discount and BTS promotion

6. DKGirl04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the replies! I will go check at the Apple Store how much I would really save. I think I will go with a 15'' since my dell is a 15'' and I watch movies and TV on my laptop.

Too bad for the iPod touch. I have one but I would't mind an upgrade. I heard they were planning on releasing a new one this fall so I thought maybe they would want to get rid of the old ones. The 100$ gift card is applicable for the music also so I will save on the music I buy on iTunes!

7. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

I've got a lovely MBP on its way to me and I can't wait to spend that giftcard. Need to update my iTunes library... I just need to keep myself from spending it all on computer software!

8. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I hear ya. I could blow $100 on software quicker than you could snap your fingers (or if you're one of those people who can't snap their fingers--clap your hands). Elements+Aperture alone would put me at nearly double the $100.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Earthquake in Japan is obviously shortening the parts. But, the main problem is the demand. People are buying macbook pro with high demands. Apple will not give away iPod touch. They don't have to.