Student Developer - Dad is paying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VirtualRain, Mar 9, 2009.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Is it possible to get my daughter (university student - no credit card) a Mac through the developer connection (at a savings) by signing her up for the developer connection membership and then buy her a system... In both cases (membership and system) I would be using my billing info (credit card). Can anyone foresee any issues with this? Is there somewhere I can call to confirm?

Thanks!

2. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Has anyone done this or even purchased through the Student Developer Program?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Getting into the developer program is fairly easy as long as you can provide even peripheral evidence that you are some sort of software developer.

That being said, if you're only looking to have her join just for the discount it might be more trouble than it's worth, although admittedly I've never heard of anyone being outright rejected if they could provide the aforementioned proof.

Anyway, does your daughter's university have their own Apple Store? She qualifies for an educational discount automatically; I would imagine it would be a lot easier to go that route than jumping through the hoops of the ASD program. You can get the student discount online through the Apple Store, buy the machine with your credit card, and have it shipped to her.

4. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It doesn't look like that much trouble to get her signed up for the student developer program... $99 and the savings on a system are 20% which can be very attractive.

I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has purchased an ASD for their kid.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, I think I must have been confused with something else. I don't remember having to pay before, maybe I'm just losing my mind.

In that case I'd say go for it- register under her name but use your credit card.

6. arrash macrumors member

I just recently (two weeks ago) went through the EXACT situation you are inquiring about. A relative paid for my ADC Membership and my 17" Unibody MBP. I sent all the info pertaining to my schooling but all billing info was my relatives. There were no problems at all during the process. Simply make sure to call the ADC Sales Support Team and let them know what is going on, they will ensure it goes smoothly.

From the day I ordered the ADC until the day I had the laptop in my hands, only 8 days had passed. It is a pretty painless process! Good luck!

BTW - The MBP I got is normally $2799, student discount pricing is $2599, I paid $2239!!! Even if you factor in the $99 to sign up for ADC Student, I still came out almost $200 ahead of the student pricing while enjoying all the benefits of the ADC Student program!

7. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thanks! Good to know!