Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AsonUnique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
How long does it take to set up a student developer account and then order a MBP using the discount? I leave for England on July 5th and I need to have my computer before I leave....will I have time? Additionally, is it worth the extra effort to get a discount using the student developer store or should I just stick with the education discount? Thanks.

Claus84

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
How long does it take to set up a student developer account and then order a MBP using the discount? I leave for England on July 5th and I need to have my computer before I leave....will I have time? Additionally, is it worth the extra effort to get a discount using the student developer store or should I just stick with the education discount? Thanks.

The student dev. is 20% vs. the 9% (i think?) student discount... You can only use the student dev. discount one time though .. and you have to deduct the fee for entering the program, from the calculation too.. (its still cheaper than normal student discount though).

However, due to the fact that you can't combine the student dev. discount with any of the campaigns they're running, I chose to save mine for the next purchase later on, and then get the back-to-school program with the printer and iPod, as it is actually quite good value too...

I don't know anything about how long it takes to become a student dev. and becoming eligible for the 20% rebate - sorry.

You should also note that according to the terms you agree on when buying through student dev. program, you cannot resell your hardware for a period of time... Just in case you're one of those people who like to keep your hardware up-to-date at every new release ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.