Student dilemma

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dast1g, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Hi,
    I have enough money now to buy my first mac (iMac) . I do plan on getting the one with 1GB graphics . I was just wondering should I wait or take the plunge now? The most intensive thing il be using my mac for is college work eg spreadsheets and projects but also light gaming (football manager 2012)

2. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

3. AndyCarolan macrumors member

If you are using it for college work, would an MBP be better as it will be portable so you can then take it to class etc?

4. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

I use an iPad or my iPhone the odd time to take notes in class do portability isn't an issue. :/

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

My advice is to wait until the new iMac is released. It might be as far out as October, keep that in mind. You can get by with your iPad until then.

6. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

Well my computer has completely died so I really need a new computer as its an add on year and will be writing a thesis. So the sooner the better I really can't wait until October . But I will b annoyed if I spend €1900 next week on an iMac and it's updated in September :/

7. Malone1878 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, waiting till September then i'll buy. Still using my PC and iPad in the mean time. I dont think their will be such a significant change in the iMac so i'm not as worried.

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You're not really doing anything that would even stress a MacBook Air. Wait until the last possible moment, and then buy what you want. But whatever you do, try to avoid paying full retail for the 2011 model iMac.

9. arashb macrumors 6502

Well, for college I would be screwed if I had to be home at all times to use my computer. Having the MBP was very convenient, I could take it anywhere and use it. But if you want an iMac I'd definitely find a way to hold off until it gets a refresh, it hasn't gotten one in a while now and getting a Mac at the end of it's cycle is a horrible feeling once the new ones come out.

10. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

Thanks everyone :)
    ^ what you said us exactly how I think I would feel if I bought one and it was refreshed in September . I'm just the type of person that if I have the money it burns a hole in my pocket to be spent :p

11. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

How about buying a refurbished Macbook/ Macbook Air until the iMac gets updated?

12. dast1g thread starter macrumors regular

dast1g

All honesty don't have the cash for that as I am a student paying my own way and the lot but wish I could do that .

----------

Exactly , that's my thoughts exactly . Il never truly push the iMac , so do I really need to wait?:/

13. arashb macrumors 6502

The day I bought my first white macbook was actually the day when I went into the Apple store looking for the iMac, before it went sexy aluminum. The Apple guy told me that the macbook just got refreshed and the iMac still hasn't. I asked him if it was going to be refreshed soon and he said didn't know because Apple never tells them anything. He convinced me to not buy the iMac because it was near the end of it's cycle.

I went home with a MacBook. One week later the new iMac was released, and you'd think that I'd be happy. But man they were gorgeous at the time, and still are now. I didn't regret buying the MacBook but eventually I sold the MacBook and got myself a 21.5 inch iMac x]. Good times...

Wait as long as you possibly can. Only buy it when you absolutely need to, or when the new iMac comes out.

14. MrPenguiny macrumors newbie

I would personally wait until the new iMac. I am a college student too and I would suggest spending a little time after school and use a library computer or something like that to write your paper. Then you can buy the new riMac. I honestly think the wait will be worth it. I already have an iMac or I would go and buy one myself.

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The only reason for you to wait is that if it's the iMac you want, it's an extremely poor value for the components you get in the current model. Last May, $2000 got you a $2000 computer. Right now it gets you a $1400 computer and a $600 "Love and Kisses, Tim Cook."