Student discount and free Ipod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bartoszbr, Jun 28, 2008.

1. bartoszbr macrumors newbie

There is an official Apple store nearby.
    I was wondering if I could get a student discount (100 off) if I were to buy the black macbook there. And also, if I could get that Ipod touch for free (mail in rebate), or is that just an online deal?
    Thanks.

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

good question, i assume its also available in store?

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

That is how i got my free ipod touch, you have to tell them you want the student discount

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I was also able to get a MBP at my local Apple Store. It included the student discount and iPod touch.

5. yippereee macrumors newbie

I recently graduated and am about to buy my first macbook pro and was hoping to get the student discount and ipod. Is there any chance I can still get these benefits? i.e. - do they check with the school to make sure you are enrolled? how does it work?

thanks for the help

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

there's a big chance that they won't check on you

7. smudged macrumors member

If you buy it in store they give you the free iPod right away? Without mail-in rebates?

How does this rebate work? They send you $300 in cash back or credit to use in Apple Stores?

8. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

You pay upfront, but no need to mail upc codes or anything in. Just go on their website, fill in a few forms and get your check in a week or two

9. R34 macrumors newbie

I have bought in-store using a student discount without problems. I don't know about the free ipod thing though.

10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

When you buy in store and tell them you want the educational discount and free iPod you'll get that pricing. If you also say that you wanted to fill the rebate out in the store they'll take you to Apple's website and do it with you so there's nothing to mail, but you still have to receive your rebate in the mail from Apple in a week to 2 weeks. The rebate is a check, not Apple credit or whatever.

11. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I just bought a new iMac for $100 off and got the free iPod Touch 8GB and a free printer. The friendly staff helped me fill out the rebates online in the store before I left. It took all of two minutes and I got my rebates in the mail less than a week later. The rebates are cashable checks not credits. BTW they only need to see your student ID.

12. CVWANG macrumors newbie

How about the extra tax for the itouch

if you purchase the itouch with the macbook with a student discount you pay more tax than just with the macbook, will the rebate include the extra tax or do you pay that as well?

13. mmacnama macrumors newbie

Discount Retroactive?

I recently bought a macbook air but it was before the student discount promotion was going on... does anyone know if it would be possible to receive a retroactive discount on purchases made just before the student discount was available?

thanks.
    :apple: Macbook Air 1.6Ghz, 80GB, Glossy
    :apple: iPod Photo 40GB
    :apple: iPod Mini 4GB

14. mkaake macrumors 65816

No, the tax is not included in the refund check, you pay that yourself. Seems like a fair trade off for $300 worth of ipod, imho.

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

unless you buy it in new hampshire, which is what I plan to do:cool:

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

Depends on how close your purchase was to the start of the promotion. If it was within (I think 10 days?), you can go to an Apple store, and they'll do a refund / resell on the spot, and you'll be eligible for the discount. I had a friend who did this - she asked about buying a macbook, and while I recommended waiting for the iPod promo, she was in a bit of a hurry - and ended up buying it 5 days before the new promo started.

After reading a bit on MR, I sent her back to the apple store, and they did it for her on the spot - no hassle whatsoever. She's loving the iPod Touch right now, and wants to upgrade to the larger capacity model...