Student Discount and Macbook update.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drmario, Jul 3, 2008.

1. drmario macrumors member

I'm looking to buy an entry level macbook. I have a limited budget so that's about all I can afford. My problem is this. With the student discount the macbook is $1,000. Then I get a free iPod touch. I already own one so I would sell it for about $300. That would bring the total price for the macbook down to about $700. My dilemma is should I buy it now, or wait until Apple updates the macbooks? The promotion for the free iPod runs until September 15th. I'm also still not completely convinced if I should get a macbook. I'm mostly concerned with the lack of a graphics card. Right now I'm on a 2005 dell with a pentium 4 processor, but it has an ATI Radeon 256mb graphics card and can handle most programs. I wouldn't really use the macbook for video editing or anything, but sometimes I like to play games, or watch HD video. Would those work ok? Thanks for your answers.

2. illidian macrumors 6502

Simply watching HD video does not tax the graphics chip/card.

What games would you like to run?

3. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Probably nothing really taxing. It just seems like a $1099 laptop should have a dedicated graphics card. My main concern is that I will buy a MacBook then apple will release a new better one within a month or two. However $700 is a very good price for a MacBook.

4. bamaworks macrumors 6502

If you aren't playing something like Crysis, I think you'll be okay :)

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

$700 is a great price , you guys over there are lucky for that price , we in UK / Eire have to pay £699 for the entry level Macbook !!!

But yeah , a graphics card would be nice , it's the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger , well that & the glossy screen , I'm hanging just to see what happens

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Just done a quick conversion : 1,385.76 USD for the entry level Macbbok in the Uk :eek:

Thats without the student discount

7. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Remember it would be $700 if I sell the iPod touch for $300. The main thing is does anyone think that Apple will update the macbooks before September 15th? $700 is a great price but if they really update the macbook a lot I would be pretty annoyed.

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I know what you mean , that's why I said I'm hanging on for a bit , you know like till they have updated them because I would like to have the updated machine & the iPod deal too ;)I'm on a g3 here so I feel the pain

...don't forget though that there is always something new coming ..3 / months down the line

9. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but there seems to be something of a consensus that the next update could be something bigger than just a ram and processor bump.

10. illidian macrumors 6502

Indeed, unless you're paying Apple prices.

Joking aside, the x3100 is fairly common on 13.3" laptops in the price range.

11. drmario thread starter macrumors member

I'm really more in the price range than size range though. Apple just doesn't exactly have an overwhelming selection of laptops in the $1,000 range. :p

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I know , that's why I'm hanging on a bit but its driving me nuts using these G3's
    Its got to be soon for the Mini & the Macbook

13. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

another thing to consider - i doubt you'll get a full $300 for the iPod. Maybe you will...but do a quick search of completed auctions on ebay...they're averaging in the $240-255 range for new/sealed units.

As more and more students do this (i'm planning to do the same thing to offset my MBP cost) - the prices (of the ipods on ebay, elsewhere) can only go down.

14. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Thats true, but even at those prices the macbook would be $750-760.

15. illidian macrumors 6502

While you only want to focus on price, if you look at the full package - getting a $1,099 13.3" laptop with all the latest technology (including the Intel's best graphics chip) - Apple would be giving a better value than many other manufacturers. :eek:

16. hipvamore macrumors regular

you wont get 300 for the ipod dude. its 299 anyways and think of the ebay chargers you'll have to pay and you wont exactly get 300 because the reason people buy on ebay is to get things cheaper. but if this helps you will also get about 83 dollars for the free printer

17. teh0ne macrumors newbie

You'll pay approx. $18 in eBay+PayPal fees if you can sell it for $250. You're much better off listing it on Craig's List!

There is 0% chance the MB will be updated before the promo ends. There's no way in hell they'd launch the back to school promo and introduce a new revamped MB/MBP halfway through - can you imagine the consumer uproar that would cause? Scary stuff...

18. illidian macrumors 6502

You do realize that the average consumer doesn't check for updates after they've already purchased their computer, right?

90% of the consumer base has no idea that an update is on the horizon.

Apple has updated their hardware in the past during the Back to School Promotion, it's not that unlikely that they will do so again.

19. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

meh...remember the iMacs a while back ??

20. drmario thread starter macrumors member

ahem... iPhone anyone? Not an update, but it caused a pretty big consumer uproar.

21. NicoleCloset macrumors newbie

I think it won't be updated before September 15th and would not be included in the back to school deal.
    As for your iTouch, if you already have one, you won't be getting a deal with that unless you give it to a relative as a gift.
    Overall, the back to school deal is excellent and one of the best ever offered.
    I don't have Nano or iTouch or a MB, so for me, it's a great deal.
    If I already had iTouch, I'd give the new one to one of my cousins as a gift.

22. NicoleCloset macrumors newbie

I plan to wait at least another year or so, because I will be getting the iTouch and I have my Blackberry right now. The data plan deals suck right now and it seems that a lot of consumers are complaining. It will be interesting to see what the sale report from Rogers will be by the end of July.

23. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Maybe that's true as September 16th is a Tuesday ;)