Student Discount and MPB Future Updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skalor, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. Skalor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #1
    Ill begin saying I'm a noob to Macs, and this forum. Also I'm British. All of which you will be able to tell in this thread.

    I will attend University in Sept 08 (Doing Graphic Design at Teeside) and for the past several months i've been waiting for the new MBP updates so I can get the top model. My current PC is dying and it's now getting to the point I can't run all my favourite programs at once (& yes i'm pretty good with cleaning my PC) so I want to purchase a top end MBP (with extra ram which ill add myself) to last me from now to the end of University.

    Well WOOT the new MBP Pros are out! But 2 problems have appeared and I seek some advice from people who know what they're talking about.

    Problem 1 is that I spoke to a Apple Admin (or w.e) on the website chat. She said I cannot receive the student discount until im 'registered with the university'. I explained I have been accepted for my course (and place it as firm choice) but she insisted I can only receive the discount only when I begin my university course. My cousin just Messaged me saying 'people who have been accepted into a higher education institute are also applicable for the discount'. Im sure theres a simple answer to this- but how do I proove Im applicable for the discount? (I'm talking about the 16% discount not the 8% one)

    Problem 2 - Theres rumours of ANOTHER MBP update in June. This time rumours of a redesign? The question is, do you think/know the specs will be improoved without the price being highered? My problem is that I'm not sure if its worth waiting until June with this dying PC then get more for my money because I don't goto univeristy until September.

    I know there is no clear cut answer, but any advice would be appreiciated. Take into account im spending around £1800-£2000 on this MBP.

    Thanks!
     
  2. JWest macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #2
    1) I don't think the website requires any proof to get the student discount.

    2) I'm kinda in the same boat here. My parents don't really want to help me financially until June, so I may have to wait anyway. If I could get it earlier however, I might. I'm not sure. If you always wait for the next best thing, you'll never end up buying the computer you want ;)
     
  3. yuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    #3
    1. online ord3er doesnt require verification, at least in the states theyre not.
    If they do, get someone you know who is enrolled to a school to buy it for you
     
  4. akadmon macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #4
    I know for a fact that in the US you can order from the online edu store as long as you have been accepted at a university/college (just ordered a new MBP for my daughter). I was told this by an Apple rep over the phone and another rep in a chat. I suppose Apple could at some point demand proof of being accepted by a school (they don't when you place the order), but something tells me they rarely do. So take it for what it's worth -- it's probably OK for anyone to shop at the online edu store. What's the worst that can happen? There is a 1 in a 1000000 chance they'll call your bluff and ask you to pay full retail price :)
     
  5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #5
    go ahead! they don't check.. even the one who chatted with you knows that.. it's just company policy for him to tell you otherwise:D
     
  6. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #6
    Thanks for the replies. Could someone link to me the UK education store for university (16% Discount NOT 8% college discount)? because I cant find it.

    Plus could someone tell me if the June redesign will be improoved much (specs wise)?

    Thanks again
     
  7. Czechmac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    I am University student in the UK and it works like this:

    In order to get to the Higher Education store website you need to be logged from your university's network. That is their way to verify whether you are a university student or not (usually if you are not a student you cannot access your university network, or at least that's how it is in my uni).

    The discount there is around 15%, which is nice. Also, you are allowed to buy one desktop and one laptop per year. There are some other discounts, like applecare costs about 50 pounds in comparison to the usual 240 or so.

    You are a university student once you enroll and start your studies, not when you get accepted (believe it or not, there are people that get accepted and never enroll, why is beyond me).

    Here is my advice:

    Let it be for the moment. The MBPs should get a substantial update before september (the montevina chipset with DDR3 memory). Order once you are enrolled in your university. If you are gonna buy the top spec MPB, the discount is really worth it.

    Also, apple is usually running some interesting offers for students, such as a free ipod when you buy a computer.

    You can also buy form a general education store, but there the discount is 10%. On the other hand you don't really need to prove you are a student there.
     
  8. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    #8
    I'm going to Seneca College here in Ontario for Computers starting in September of this year. The only thing I have to put in is my student ID number which I got when I recieved a letter from Seneca. That's it, there's no verification needed in the Canadian store besides that.
     
  9. Czechmac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location:
    London, UK
    #9
  10. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #10
    Thanks for the advice. Im still not convinced about waiting till June-Sept for updates. Im that not bothered if its just a redesign + marginally better processor but im no tech geek.

    Ive just been eyeing up the latest top end Macbook, its seems as good as the 15" MBP apart from the Graphics Card and Screensize!? How considerably better is the 15" MBP Graphics card?

    And what is the shared view on MBP Keyboards? To me it doesnt look that great, but im sure id be fine with it.

    Thanks again guys.
     
  11. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

    Fonzijr1964

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    Location:
    Maryland
    #11
    I am in the same boat with problem #2. I have a Alienware m7700 (a Gaming Laptop) now at the time when i bought it, it was the best PC you could buy (If you want a PC go Alienware, but why would you want a PC:)). I have been waiting for 6 months for a new MBP but i sill haven't gotten what I have come to know from apple, and that is innovation. I want Blu-ray, and magnetic locks, and i have a huge music library so i need more than 200GB at 7,200RPM. So now I am going to wait until next Tuesday to see about the iMac update and see if it gets anything besides a processor.
     
  12. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #12
    if you're doing graphic design (I am currently on a GD course) you will definately want to hold out a bit longer in the hope that the MBP 15" gets a better resolution so you get more work space.

    when I'm not at uni I do some work designing for a website and I use a 24" imac there. Even then I find I need more screen space!!

    EDIT: Forgot to mention I have been waiting to get an MBP since September and have held out for the Montevina update as tbh this current update isn't worth it at the mo for me.
     
  13. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #13
    Thanks.

    I've msged you btw.
     
  14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

    Fonzijr1964

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    Location:
    Maryland
    #14
    Me too I have been waiting for 6 moths and I dot want to buy a Kinda new MBP
     
  15. Storm9 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #15
    If you know anyone in the USA have them buy it for you. Its much cheaper due to the exchange rates.
     
  16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

    creator2456

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #16
    Get it now if you really want to, but don't complain when the new ones come out.

    If I were you I would wait because A)possibility of updates B)back to school promotions C)my first year in graphic design school (stateside here) was much more hand work than computer work (even though they said a laptop was needed, the labs would have been more than enough)
     
  17. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #17
    I think I have decided to wait, because I would regret not waiting for the last update. I can afford to wait for the next one. But im hoping its in June.

    HALF the reason I want to update is the fact my PC isn't good enough anymore, and I need a new machine. but I do understand I dont NEED a MB for my first year as the University Facilities are great.

    Thanks a lot.
     
  18. GreyMatta macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #18
    I ordered my new 2.4 MBP on Tuesday through the Apple UK HE phone line

    all they asked me for was my NUS card number and they gave me my 15% discount and free Apple Care as well

    cost me £1160 :D

    ask a friend if you can use there NUS card and give Apple a call. The staff couldn't help me enough.
     
  19. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #19
    trust me, having your own machine is better! it's a hassle using the uni facilities and even worse when you're using them and you've forgotten something you needed!!!

    I think you'll find in your first year you won't have a lot of reason to use one though. I'm just finishing off my first year now and I easily went without. Second year will defo not be the case though!
     
  20. Skalor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #20
    Sums up my feelings exactly :)
     
  21. jbg232 macrumors 65816

    jbg232

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #21
    Does anyone know what the link is to the site that allows you to have the 16% discount for US universities if you're logged in at school?
     
  22. wgriffiths2000 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2007
    #22
    I would say go buy it now the June speculation is just that speculation. Chances are you will be waiting 2 - 3 months after that for an update. I am one whos all for waiting when a product is at the end of its life cycle but waiting just after an update especially if your hopping for a redesign is insane.

    Now for the education part i am not sure how they work it over there but here in canada we dont get those discount. But if you are enrolled here and have your student ID# your set to go. Though we dont get that big of a discount here and we get screwed by the dollar i get a better deal driving over the boarder and buying one.
     
  23. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

    phiberglass

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
  24. mbrydone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #24
    I think you mean the SDC discount for students? You must fax them a course scheduale to recieve the discount otherwise they do not have proof that you are a student, also it costs $99 to join the program ( idk about the cost in the UK)
     
  25. TimeWaster101 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    #25
    Same dilemma

    Well so I have a couple questions to ask for everyone's opinion.

    background: I'm 17 and will be getting a Macbook Pro as a graduation/birthday/own funds present. I plan on using it for a good 4 years through college. Now to my 2 questions:

    1. How big of a step is 256 graphics to 512. If I want to game, is it really worth $500, because that's practically the only difference. I'm not going to be a hardcore gamer, but I'd like to be able to buy a game 3 years down the line and still play it, not necessarily on best graphics, but at least not running slugishly. I'll probably run Halo 2, battlefield 2142, half life 2, maybe crisis (about as high end of a game I'd ever run), etc. Is 512 really worth the extra $500 if I'm not a hardcore gamer?

    2. Now or Montevina? Should i get one in a month when I can, or wait for this summer to get the Montevina update. I've heard the speeds not going to be much better and I know the processor will still be penryn, just a platform change. So I really don't care about the small speed bump it will carry. But does anyone see a new graphics card like say the 8800M being in it? or will it probably just be a 8600/8700 again due to heating issues? I thought about waiting too, to see what the probably eminent redesign will be. I LOVE the current design, but what if they make it thinner and add a magnetic latch??? However, the current design has almost all the bugs worked out, whereas a new design will have kinks to work out... So its a hard decision. Any input from you guys would be awesome. thanks. As of now, I'm leaning towards buying one in a month (the current one).

    Also, I don't see :apple: making the hard drives any bigger (at least base option) at Montevina. :apple: usually lags behind PCs in hard drive sizes (probably due to slim factor. Macs are like the fit, on a diet version of PC laptops). So pretty much the only thing I could see them updating is optional things, maybe screen res, and possibly the graphics card. What do ya think?
     

Share This Page