Student Discount at Apple Retail Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghettochild, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ghettochild macrumors regular

I've read some posts of people stating that they got a $200 student discount for the new MBP in brick and mortar Apple stores (as opposed to $100 off via the online education store).

Anybody who purchased a MBP with student discount at an Apple retail store, how much was your discount?

2. donna78 macrumors newbie

When I was in there, they told me the 2.4GHz, $1999 would be $100 off while the 2.53GHz, $2499 model would be $200 off. I wanted the 2.53 model so got the $200 off. I think the student and faculty discounts should be the same so assume this would apply to you too.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I got the base penryn Macbook Pro for $1799.

4. snake007uk macrumors member

if you buy from a store you will only get 1 year warranty if you buy online you will get 3 years.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Um, no. That's not true. All Apple computers come with 1 year warranty standard. Not 3. Education discount does not include free applecare.

6. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Actually, faculty @ public institutions can get a bigger discount by buying from the "state and local government employee store." I think the MPB 2.4 Ghz model is $1840 there vs $1899 at the edu store.

8. donna78 macrumors newbie

I am at a private insititution. The price I paid at the Apple store was the same as that being offered by our on campus store and they did not have any new MBPs in stock, unfortunately. Of course, I enjoy going to the Apple store and playing with all the latest and greatest gadgets!!;)

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Have fun with those student and educational discounts,
    I know there's much better bargains out there if your willing to hunt around for them :D

10. Be3G macrumors member

FWIW it is actually true, but only in the UK (which I realise isn't particularly useful for the OP). AppleCare itself isn't included - it's just a warranty without the phone support - but still, one can't complain.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wait. Apple stores still give education discounts? Every time I go in mine, I'm denied the ability to use mine. Are you F#$%&n kidding me? Does it work for iPods and software too, or just computers?

12. Fus3r macrumors newbie

I bought mine Thursday (had it returned to me Sunday so they could transfer my files) for 1899 (100 discount). PS first mac and I'm loving it, it's love at first sight. The only thing I didn't like too much about the store is they have 2 printers to choose from and that's it, I would have liked to pay a little extra for a wireless printer, but oh well guess I'll spend the little extra on a USB Hub instead.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Computers and some (but not all) Apple peripherals and Apple software. No iPods/iPhones, and no third-party stuff.

What happened there was that not all Apple retail employees understood how the new discounts worked. $200 was allowable on the old $1999 MBPs left in stock, but it should have only been $100 off a new MBP. I wouldn't be surprised (once the old $1999 MBPs are out of the store) if doing a $200 discount on a $1999 MBP required a managers override.

14. donna78 macrumors newbie

Computers and selected software. Nothing much else I am afraid.

15. donna78 macrumors newbie

Now that you have discovered mac you'll probably want the time capsule... Wireless 802.11n router, wireless hard drive for using time machine and wireless print server. We love ours at home.

16. Doublewire macrumors member

Doublewire

What do you have to do to prove that you are an educator? Is it really as simple as just 'select your school'?

17. hypmatize macrumors regular

I got $200 off when I got mine on the 16th... specs in my sig