Student Discount by phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EMA747, Jun 11, 2011.

1. EMA747, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

EMA747 macrumors newbie

I want to get a new Macbook Pro and I am a UK student but because I am on a work placement year I can't really get access to the university intranet.
    I can call them up and do it by phone but I was just wondering what details they will need to prove I am a student?

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Usually one of three things happens-

They ask you to email/fax them with a picture of your student card, a letter confirming student status or something similar.

They just believe you.

They don't check there and then but contact you a few days later to check.

When I ordered something they asked lots of question about what I wanted it for, why that particular product etc. However, I think that was them just collecting data rather then checking.

3. dizzydot macrumors member

dizzydot

When I ordered over the phone, they just asked which university I attended and that was it. I had contacted them a few weeks earlier to get some info but I don't remember them taking any details from me, so it looks like they just took my word for it. I must have an honest voice :) I did say that I could email them proof if needed but they said it was ok.

One other thing before you order you may want to pre-warn your bank about the forth coming transaction as mine put a hold on it as it was an unusual amount and wanted to check that it wasn't fraudulent. According to the sales bod at apple it happens all the time and she phoned me back about 15 mins later to process the order once the bank had gone through security checks with me.

HTH.