Student discount for college student

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cdhfootball, Oct 18, 2008.

1. cdhfootball macrumors member

i was just wondering if Apple asks to confirm your ID if you purchase online. also, will they know if you are a student or not?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no they dont. they rely on honesty. unfortunately the student discount was decreased as a lot of people were not honest.

3. hazoomeh macrumors member

as stated in another post, you are much better off ordering from J&R with the windows live cashback perk.

4. brettinlj macrumors member

If you get lucky, the sales guy in the Apple store will give you the bigger discount (one for a higher end model). Happened to me, but I'm not sure if it was on purpose or an accident. He did ask for my student id though, and actually looked at it.

5. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Same here, hes like good luck in school
    I didnt get the 100 tho only 50

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're lucky you'll still get $100 off on the MacBook in a retail store.

You're better off going to Amazon.com and avoiding sales tax. Aren't they running a mail-in-rebate as well? Get AppleCare off of eBay as well. I just bought it for US$159.00 on there.

7. number9 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend bought one Wednesday night and she used a student discount. The sales guy in the Apple Store asked for her student ID, but she didn't have it on her and verified by logging into her school email instead.

We noticed today though that on her receipt she got $100 off for the student discount, despite only getting the 2.0Ghz Macbook.

Your mileage may vary with respect to the discount amount, but ID or student email is about all they should ask for.