Student Discount for MB: What is it typically?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrtravel123, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

Hey,

I'll be waiting until the next MB update before buying a replacement laptop. So, I'll likely not benefit from the current student promo (iPod Touch, etc).

What is the likely/typical discount I'll get once this current promo ends?

I'm curious for all of the laptops... but especially the MB. It seems like the student discounts vary, based on model or specs.

Thanks!

2. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

After the promo ends you most likely won't be seeing any other offers. Students generally get around 10% off from Apple. However, on the MacBook, generally, you get a flat $100 off the price of the computer and then 10% off of any upgrades (larger HD, more RAM -- don't buy apple RAM though, it's cheaper to buy it elsewhere --, etc.). I don't expect that an upgrade would change the discount scheme but it's possilbe.

3. oacory macrumors regular

The MB/MBA have $100 off and the MBP has $200 off usually but depending on your school you may get more.

My college for instance gives an extra $50 off a recommended Macbook and another $100 off if you buy one of the two of the recommended Macbook Pros.

Imac however only give you $50 off and Mac Pros $200.

I think there were more of a discount last year especially for the iMac. I bought one last year and I could have sworn they were $100 off and I got another $150 since I picked an iMac that my college recommended. Anyone else have any say?

4. LifeCerealRocks macrumors member

It's generally around a flat $100 off, however, it varies from university to university from what I've gathered on these forums.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Ya, for the MB it's usually $100. Didn't check much into the others, but what others have said sounds right.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The discount at the Higher Education store is around 17% and you get 3 years of warranty for free too. No need for AppleCare.

7. jokun macrumors member

I don't know if that's true everywhere. That's the first I've heard of it, but I'm checking with Apple right now.

*eta*- just checked my college's pricing. We get the standard 1yr warranty and a discount on AppleCare. $183, down from $249. That's on the macbooks specifically.

MBP AppleCare is $239 down from $349. Check your particular college for whatever pricing they get.

8. erummel macrumors member

erummel

This is in the UK only. Students in the US get a flat $100 off of the MB and will have to buy Applecare if they want a three year warranty. For once, it's cost effective to buy a Mac in the UK, if you were planning on getting Applecare.

9. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

i don't know if you guys done it buy my friend haggled the girl at the store in my university lol. basically after the promotion, he got the low end macbook with a free ipod nano and a free applecare with $100 off. The options he had was either the $100 off and either the free applecare or free ipod nano and he got both.

So try to get a good deal off of it at school :D

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm sorry. Both you and I must have missed where the OP states they are in the USA because it isn't mentioned anywhere.