Student discount in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chrismcfall, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Chrismcfall Suspended

Is there a massive difference between the standard edu discounts, and the FE discounts? I can't see the latter til i start college again in september..

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

There was last year when I used it to buy my mbp. About £30 diff. I called last month however and told me they're the same now apparently.

Use quidco. Get another 3% cash back even on education orders.

3. rattydog macrumors newbie

The difference is more if you spend more. It also used to vary in the FE/HE store depending on how much your school spent annually with Apple - have loads of Macs on campus and your personal one would be discounted more. not sure if that is still that case, but if it is the the numbers I pulled off my Uni site may vary slightly.

iMac 21.5" entry level is £60 cheaper through my HE Apple store
    iMac 27" i5 is £100 cheaper
    Mac Mini is £20 cheaper

The biggest difference is that buying through the normal Education store gives you the standard 1 year warranty whereas the National Higher Education agreement has an added clause:

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period commencing from the date of delivery.

That 3 years is a big difference. To get that iMac i5 through the normal store with the 3 years requires an additional £115 for the Applecare - making the difference over £200.

I have had the logic board on my laptop replaced (in year 2) and two HDD bays on my desktop rewired (in year 3), which initially I had been told was a logic board problem as well.

If you can wait until school starts I would...