student discount : instore or online? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gilljoy, May 30, 2010.

1. gilljoy macrumors member

hey all,

im finally getting round to buying my macbook pro :)

going for the base 13" model and im just wondering whither its best to purchase instore or online? mainly as im wondering where i can get the best deal for the mac

going to take advantage of the free itouch and sell it to bring the price down.

also does anyone know a good place to get rid of a year n half old dell laptop?

thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. gilljoy thread starter macrumors member

can you still get the discounted applecare?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you a higher education student? If so, buy online or through phone as you get 3 year warranty for free

5. gilljoy thread starter macrumors member

yea im a university student. so if i buy it over the net i get a free 3 year warranty?

6. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Ahh, so you can't get the 3 year extended warranty in-store? That kinda sucks. I was going to buy mine in an Apple Store so it would be easier to return if there were any problems with it. I guess you can't get a MBP replaced at an Apple Store if you ordered it online?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm not sure can you. You can only buy though your uni's network or through phone, it doesn't mention retail store anywhere

8. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Where?

Where does it say this? All I can find is the reduced price AppleCare which costs about £45 and you add it to the end of your order online.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't know where does it say that in Apple's site but it's true, see these threads

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

give em a call 0800 072 1154 (open until 5pm)

They will confirm the warranty thing. I don't think there is an issue if buying online and having a problem - going to a retail store.

11. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

I think it's just a UK thing but here is a link that confirms the 3 year warranty.

When I ordered the person I talked to didn't even know about it and ended up having to ask her supervisor who confirmed it.

The £45 seems to just increase the phone cover from 1 year to 3 years.

12. Prhymeate macrumors member

So the only thing you get for buying the applecare at a HE student price, is two years phone support? Is everything else covered in the basic 3 year HE warranty, such as return shipping fees etc? I just ask because I ordered a macbook pro yesterday and paid for the applecare after both someone at the apple store and the person on the phone said that the 3 year warranty only came if you bought apple care. If that isn't the case I'll just cancel it.

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

You can get it in the store, I have done it numerous times in the regent street, brent x and bluewater stores

14. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

What sort of ID do you need to buy in store with HE discount? And you don't get the extended 3 year warranty in store do you? So I would have to buy online to get that service.

15. tomscott1988 macrumors regular

tomscott1988

I have purchased macs from both the over the phone (directly with an apple representative instead of the online store) and the apple store as a student.
    I found the telephone service very helpful and i got more discount than what it explains through the education store, and with the option of getting more things for free or cheaper depending on your subject.
    My first mac was a fully fledged 17" £1750 macbook pro, i got this through the telephone store where i had to pay for the 3 year extended warranty but it is only 10% of its actual value so around £30. But I got a few things thrown in for free. I got iWork and a £80 Tucano laptop bag just for purchasing and i got an extra 20% off an apple mighty mouse. I think this is because it was my first mac and i was spending so much money. Being able to talk to the person telling them what you do they cna help you get more discount.
    The second mac i purchased was the 13" unibody macbook and i got this from the store. I got the same deal 10% for the applecare but no stuff for free , but the laptop was only £1050.
    The difference from the actual store and the telephone store is that you have to buy the pre built spec, you cant say upgrade the ram and hdd and expect to walk away with it that day, plus the parts are more expensive. Secondly the telephone store is more likely to give you deals because they talk to you directly and no1 else so say the millions of people around you in the apple store if they said yes you can have this for free they will have to give everyone it for free!
    My preferred way of buying macs is through the telephone apple store which is based on the apple internet store. but with my mac pro i found that john lewis was giving £250 off them and apple wasn't so went there and got a 5 year warranty for £100. Apple service is impeccable and i would go there nearly every time.

16. MortalDays macrumors regular

As far as I am concerned, I think the "FREE" Apple Care is for UK only. I am in U.S. and have never been told there was FREE Apple Care available.

Could someone please confirm whether the Apple Care is FREE in the U.S. or not?

I am buying my MBP tomorrow. So need to know fast! :rolleyes:

17. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

You can get the same discount in store as online, but on fewer items (limited to the computers, some of the accessories, applecare, etc. Not the software). As for free applecare, I've never been offered it, online or in store. Never heard of it. I've had it heavily reduced (by about 80%) twice though.

18. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I always just used my university card.

I always bought the 'upgrade' for small extra fee, so i couldn't tell about the free 3 years parts and labour.

This is one of those topics that a large proportion of MR members seem to not fully understand, and it doesn't help that many of apple's staff (in the stores) don't know about it either and therefore give out false information.

However, if you explain to apple store staff what it is and then ask them to talk to their supervisors, they come back confirming that they can indeed sell you the applecare for the greatly reduced price

Hope that helps

19. iVinay macrumors newbie

When you order online, you have option of getting AppleCare Protection Plan for upto three years. Here is more details about it from online order customization:

AppleCare Protection Plan

For up to three years from your computer's original purchase date, the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you direct, one-stop access to Apple's award-winning telephone technical support for questions about Apple hardware, Mac OS X, iLife, and iWork. And you get global repair coverage for your Mac — both parts and labor — through convenient service options.

When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan and your computer at the same time, you'll be automatically registered in the plan.

With HE Student Discount you get AppleCare Protection Plan Pricing:

£47 for Mabook/Macbook Air & Mabook Pro 13"
    £58.75 for Macbook Pro 15"
    £35.25 for Mac Mini
    £44.65 for iMac
    £52.88 for Mac Pro

Standard AppleCare Protection Plan Pricing:

£199.00 for Mabook/Macbook Air & Mabook Pro 13"
    £279.00 for Macbook Pro 15"
    £129.00 for Mac Mini
    £139.00 for iMac
    £199.00 for Mac Pro

I can also confirm you don't get the same discount instore, I bought my iMac last year (from Regent Street) and I paid £136.00 for 3 Years AppleCare!

Hope this helps!

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

then I am afraid that you were over charged.

Please stop spreading this around otherwise other students will be overcharged also. :)

NB. the Higher Education Applecare is available in store

21. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Hi, can anyone tell me if I can get this discount with a letter from my current school confirming that, starting September I will be attending their sixth form college.
    DO you know how much a 15" mpb with anti-glare screen would cost, would I be able to order it to a retail store?
    And would I be able to get discounted apple care with further education?

Thanks,

22. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

The HE discount is for higher education only (university students)

But you can still get a discount as a school student

23. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..

Would I not be able to get the further education discount, as I think the discount is higher?

24. iVinay macrumors newbie

Are you sure? Last time I checked the 80% discount is available to HE Students over phone & online. They do get discounts instore but not good as online/phone. I'm not spreading anything here, I only shared what I have experienced.

Cheers

25. ChrisWV10 macrumors newbie

FE student discount is 6%. You can walk into an Apple store with your college student id and they apply the discount. :)