Student Discount Just Online or at stores also?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylecib123, Jan 18, 2008.

1. kylecib123 macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a MBP (obviously going to wait a couple weeks before I pull the trigger) but I want to pay cash...long story, primarily wanting to avoid the Tax Man.

Regardless, I have to go to the Apple Store to Pay cash. Can I use the Student Discount there?

The other thing though, I assume I'll be able to cheat the system....I'm not a student anymore (2 years out) but I still have my Student email account, and I may be able to dig out my student ID card. I bought an Ipod when I was in school (from apple.com) and just needed my student email. I'm hoping it will still work with just that. Any thoughts as to whether I'll get shot down or if I could get pinched after the fact...

I guess the other option is just going to the store and buying $2k worth of gift cards and going home and ordering it online.....

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Yes, you can get it in the store, as long as you have that ID card.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, you'll need an ID for in-store purchases at a brick-and-mortar Apple Store.

And Apple does random audits of EDU purchasers, so yes, you could get pinched after the fact.

4. aosman macrumors 6502

Ah good call, I never knew about the random auditing.

5. 3ur0 macrumors newbie

Does this apply to 3rd party software as-well, such as Adobe CS3?

6. Paix247 macrumors 6502

You can not get EDU discounts on software at the Apple Retail Stores.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There is no EDU pricing on software (Apple or third-party) at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores. Everything is full retail price.

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

There are discounted "Education / student and Teacher" Editions of some software, that could be what he was referring to

Not the case in the UK! :) Finally, we're good at something - Apple hardware, peripherals and software are all eligible for education discounts here. Only exceptions are iPods and iPod accessories. This almost brings them down to US prices. Almost.

9. kylecib123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you are a student you should look into going to your school's IT dept for this software. I know that when I was in school I went there (not the bookstore, but the IT dept.) and got a copy of MS Office 2003 for like $74 and Photoshop 7 for $99. Keep in mind this was a few years ago before the newer versions were out but I assume that if I was still going to school I could go there and get the same deal now. It was just the Disk and didn't come with anything but the key, but it was a great deal anyway.

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

We can't get the discounts in store though can we?

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

You can. I've bought keyboards and an Airport Extreme with discount in-store.