Student discount on a refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

First off, why on earth does your 2nd grader need a MBP? Secondly, there is no additional education discount on refurbs. Thirdly, you're "2nd grader" doesn't qualify for edu discounts anyway as it is only for higher education students or staff/faculty at k-12 and higher education.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i think they mean they want to use their child as a 'student' to be eligible for a student discount.

make sure you take video at the apple store when you drag your kid in there... i'd love to see their response. unless your 7 year old goes to college, you can't get a student discount online.

5. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this, but online, you don't have to show any proof. Not a good system on Apple's part, but all you have to do is find the school, then BAM. HE Discount for you.

6. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I was always nder the impression that they check up on you after you bought the system? So if you aint a student, or can't find one willing to help, they'll then charge you the extra for what you should have paid?

I might be wrong though, just thought i read that somewhere?

7. mantic macrumors 6502a

Wrong.

8. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Same goes for the Gov/Fed store. I didn't have to show my proof of employment to purchase from there.

9. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Well thanks for being so nice about it :D

10. drb6 macrumors regular

Not always. Apple reserves to the right to 'audit' or confirm that you're a student. But as far as I know this happens very rarely.

11. cudo macrumors regular

i bought mine on student discount and i guess the only way apple is veryfing if u r a student is the fact that you must access the edu shop via university net..cos when i go via my home network i still can acess the edu shop but the prices are different to the ones via university net.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've been asked to provide proof of studentness before. It does happen, but generally only for larger orders.

11 Xserves and they get a little suspicious ;)

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

he may be joking saying he wants to use their discount for themself:D

14. mantic macrumors 6502a

lol sorry.. It was early and that's all my brain could muster..

I ordered my MBP and all I had to do was enter a school. There was never a verification process. But like was mentioned they probly do reserver the right to check and probly only do so on larger orders.

15. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

What kind of school does your kid go to? lol. They make you use paint to color between the lines now?

j/k

-JoE

16. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Wow that's great, you better get some serious protection for the MBP like screen/keyboard/external casing.. you never know what a 2nd Grader will do..