student discount on refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 152pilot, Jun 8, 2008.

1. 152pilot macrumors newbie

Same as the title....

just seeing if its possible to get the student discount applied to refurb'd MBPs (not asking about the ipod promo, just the regular 200 off)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. They're already discounted. Don't steal from Apple.

3. 152pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

There is also a large difference between trying to steal something and being frugal.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Complete truth. ;) I've never bought an article of clothing over $20. I have all "name-brand" clothing. (Lee, true Polo, etc.)

Shoes don't count; they have a hegemony over the market... :mad:

You could look into a Student Developer Discount. The 17" MacBook Pro is discounted $500. ($400 when you subtract that ADC membership)

5. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

Ignorant comment.

I'm sorry your not a student.

6. 152pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not really interested in the 17''...

I can easily afford the MBP I want anyway, its just the fact that I always try to get the best deal I can, which is why I usually have enough extra money laying around to allow me to buy whatever I want:D

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ignorant comment.

You spelled "you're" wrong, and I am indeed a student going to college this fall.

Anyone with a computer can go to the Education Store and see that the refurbs there are NOT additionally discounted.

I tip my hat to you, sir!

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i do this also. The cheapest route to go is the ADC student deal. Its a one time thing, no matter how many times you buy ADC though. It saves you 100$ more than the student discount, with the membership added in already.

just did it myself.. Also got a copy of leopard free :) and its amazing what little it takes these days for people to start on eachother, amazing.

9. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

10. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

ADC is usually the best deal, but it will add some extra time (about 7-14 days by the time you are verified). ADC also requires that you fax in a current class schedule and actually checks your enrollment status

There used to be a student/faculty refurb store available to my university, but in the last few months nothing has been available.

11. d0GGii macrumors newbie

Could you explain more on the ACD student discount? Would I be able to get the free iPod deal still?

Thanks.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Trolling is against forum rules.

And no student discount on refurbished/clearance.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You pay $99 and become an Apple developer; you use your developer status to buy a computer discounted; if you're a student you can also do the educational discount; and if it's during the iPod promotion period, you can get yourself an iPod.

14. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

this is not what apple told me. You cannot combined the student discount with the developer discount.

I paid 1599 +tax+membership for my MBP.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Really? Interesting; they told me different... but I didn't bother with this though, because I plan to use it on my Mac Pro in the future.

16. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I don't know for sure if student ADC qualify for the free iPod or not. Best to call apple and make sure since it technically isn't the same as the student purchase program.

The big difference is that the ADC purchase program is to get apple hardware to students for development testing and learning. The student discount program is to encourage students to buy apple hardware to meet their learning needs.