Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
Does Apple offer the student discount online? I'm wondering so I can save like $150 in taxes if I order it online instead of going to the university store... or is it tax free there too? :confused:

amoildani

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
yes, they have an educational store, it should be at store.apple.com, look at the bottom left

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
It's basically the honor system. I bought my iMac from the Apple store and they said even though I had graduated from college 6 months before they could give me the discount, as long as I had a student ID. :)

allison.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
if a company has a 'business presence' in a state, or something like that, they have to charge sales tax at point-of-sale on items they sell in that state, online or not. I'm no tax expert; there are older threads here that explain it better, maybe search for "tax" or "sales tax."

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Ummmm...since apple has retail outlets as well as an online store they charge for state tax, the same is true if you order from Best Buy online. Shop around, figure out the total cost of a system with you edu and tax, might find a tax free system cheaper.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
shane-o-mac said:
Ummmm...since apple has retail outlets as well as an online store they charge for state tax, the same is true if you order from Best Buy online. Shop around, figure out the total cost of a system with you edu and tax, might find a tax free system cheaper.

grrrrrr... :mad:

the discount is total crap really... it's only like $50 off with the tax... :(

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
mcgarry said:
if a company has a 'business presence' in a state, or something like that, they have to charge sales tax at point-of-sale on items they sell in that state, online or not. I'm no tax expert; there are older threads here that explain it better, maybe search for "tax" or "sales tax."

not only that, but if you order from an online site that does not charge tax, you are technically supposed to declare it and pay the tax to your state anyway. apple is basically saying "we don't want anyone to cheat the system" so they charge sales tax to wherever you ship your order. kinda lame, but what can ya do?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Southbridge said:

It depends on what you're buying. They're not going to give you hundreds off something that costs $1000. They don't have that much profit built-in these days.

Even the developers, who get a better discount, don't get amazing deals.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Southbridge said:
Errr... you get the machine for $150 less than anybody else can, and you think it's crap because you have to pay State sales tax like everybody else and only save $50?

I'm suppose you don't go to a State funded school then, or drive on the roads, or use community services or... ah to H@!! with it.

Self-centered sense of entitlement precludes rational discussion anyway.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Southbridge said:
ah forget it. I'm gettin a dell. :mad:
Dell charges shipping. ;)

And sometimes tax too. Either way, you're supposed to report it if you have tax in your state. Does Dell even have educational discounts, or are they just cheap?

If you insist on having no tax, look to Amazon or someplace like that, but you still sometimes have to pay for shipping. That's just the way it is. You could do a search, because there are a ton of threads on this very subject.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
CanadaRAM said:
Errr... you get the machine for $150 less than anybody else can, and you think it's crap because you have to pay State sales tax like everybody else and only save $50?

I'm suppose you don't go to a State funded school then, or drive on the roads, or use community services or... ah to H@!! with it.

Self-centered sense of entitlement precludes rational discussion anyway.

wait... you really believe that my exact $156 I pay for sales tax goes directly to building schools and roads?

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
It's just annoying, because you see the price then you're like... oh wow, thats not TOO bad... but then you factor in the tax and you realize that the discount is really not that much of a discount... Apple should factor in the tax with their prices...

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
hehe... yeah smart. Buy a Dell (which won't legally save you the tax anyway) and you can pay $50 over and over again for virus protection. ;)

Nah seriously though. You can order from MacConnection and pay no tax plus get free shipping. I think Amazon may also do that, but I'm not positive. If someone else knows... chime in? :)

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2003
Southbridge said:
It's just annoying, because you see the price then you're like... oh wow, thats not TOO bad... but then you factor in the tax and you realize that the discount is really not that much of a discount... Apple should factor in the tax with their prices...
We understand what you're saying. Don't worry, and don't think we don't. :) The edu prices are really only a deal for people who would alternatively pay tax even without the discount.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Southbridge said:
wait... you really believe that my exact $156 I pay for sales tax goes directly to building schools and roads?

It's not a matter of believing, it's fact. Sales tax charged on all items with states that charge sales tax goes towards the State's general fund for road construction/repair, schools, and a plethora of other things. Every cent does count.

Southbridge said:

No, Apple shouldn't. The reason for this is that different states and respective cities have different tax rates. For example, Los Angeles has a tax rate of 8.25% of the total purchase, while San Diego has a tax rate of 7.75%. Other states have it similar. So, it wouldn't make much sense to do that and really isn't cost effective to customize each state's collateral with the prices including tax, especially because, depending on your locality, tax rates can change.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
baummer said:
It's not a matter of believing, it's fact. Sales tax charged on all items with states that charge sales tax goes towards the State's general fund for road construction/repair, schools, and a plethora of other things. Every cent does count.

ok... because state governments are managed with the utmost care and can never be accused of grift, and politicians are the noblest of fellows, who gladly accept our donations and kindly get the funds into the right hands as soon as possible. This is because ALL state taxes goes directly to those people who are most needy: children and the poor. These officials dont think of themselves, only their duty to serve the common good, which is why they refuse to take a salary.

baummer said:
No, Apple shouldn't. The reason for this is that different states and respective cities have different tax rates. For example, Los Angeles has a tax rate of 8.25% of the total purchase, while San Diego has a tax rate of 7.75%. Other states have it similar. So, it wouldn't make much sense to do that and really isn't cost effective to customize each state's collateral with the prices including tax, especially because, depending on your locality, tax rates can change.

so its impossible for apple to write a script for their website calculating the price according to where you live?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Southbridge said:
ok... because state governments are managed with the utmost care and can never be accused of grift, and politicians are the noblest of fellows, who gladly accept our donations and kindly get the funds into the right hands as soon as possible. This is because ALL state taxes goes directly to those people who are most needy: children and the poor. These officials dont think of themselves, only their duty to serve the common good, which is why they refuse to take a salary.

Wow you sure have a lot of faith in goverment :rolleyes:. I didn't say it all goes to where it's supposed to go, it goes where the state determines the money is needed most. We have elected officials who make these decisions. If you didn't vote, don't complain. If you did, vote for new officials next time.

Southbridge said:
so its impossible for apple to write a script for their website calculating the price according to where you live?

Not impossible; how do you think they determine tax when you go to checkout? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.