Student Discount - Oops...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drsmoochy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. drsmoochy macrumors newbie

I admit I did a dumb thing. I tried to order a computer and the Adobe software using the student discount, but I just graduated (I guess I figured after all that money in tuition I deserved it and meant to have done this 2 months ago, but didn't have the money...whatever). I apologize for this post not being broken up into paragraphs, but the "Enter" key doesn't work on my computer. Anyway, I am wondering if there is some way I can get out of this. I am going to have 400 dollar trial software that I can't activate because I'm not a student. Or is there something else I can do??? I guess I considered myself a step-up above people that have the software and don't even buy it at all...but now I just feel like a complete ass.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

How is the software activated? School email? I don't see how they would verify this.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You should be fine. I dont think anybody destroys their software after they graduate.

The Apple discount on computers also applies to anybody who has been accepted to a university. Even if you graduated, you are still probably eligible to go back and take more classes. Since you have an open invitation to attend, you meet requirements for the discount.

4. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

You have to prove that you are currently enrolled. You need a school ID (which I have) and something that proves you are enrolled now for the Adobe software at least. I mean this would save me more than 1,000 dollars, so I'm trying to figure out if I really want to cancel the order or if there is some way around it. I can prove I took classes this summer...but don't have a schedule for now.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I thought there was a 6mo grace period after graduation?

6. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be AWESOME if it were true. I won't get the software until December, though, but I would just make it. Where did you get that information from?

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I know for a fact for 6months AFTER you graduate, you can still LEGALLY sell Academic software versions.

One would think you could also buy it?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well Adobe says they can call your school to verify.

9. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I not have bought it for someone else, who is currently a student?

10. Stile macrumors member

I do believe that the student check is made at the time of purchase. So you should be able to still use the software. I might be wrong about this, but that was how all the software worked that I had purchased as a student, granted that was a long time ago. If you are asking a moral question, well, I wouldn't worry about it, you're not supposed to use it to make money anyway so as long as you don't do that then it shouldn't matter.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Relax. The School Verification Police won't come knocking at the door. "Student" discounts are nothing more than a marketing come-on to create brand loyalty. Usually, it also means there's no support, but other than that, it's the same software.

Companies employ this and other "discounts" to gain business, not because you hold a special place in their hearts. In all reality, they'd rather you "accidentally" got the discount than paid full freight with another vendor.

I wouldn't overly stress about it.

12. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha thanks everyone! This is all what I kind of figured, and why I did it in the first place.

In case anyone else is doing the same thing or wondering what you need in order to get the discount:

First you get a discount on CS3 or 4 for being a student, and then you get even more of a discount for buying it with a computer.

It's a 100 dollar discount on the computer (depending on which kind you buy). That doesn't seem to be a big deal with the verification.

I ordered CS4, which won't arrive until December. They send you the trial version, and you have to e-mail proof of eligibility to someone (school ID and a schedule) and they give you a serial number to unlock it. If you don't have the serial number, you have useless software after 30 days or whatever it is.

What do you think about ordering CS4 over CS3? When these programs are new, do they have a lot of bugs? Should I have just gone for CS3 (partially because it would arrive closer to the time I was a student)?

13. pjgeer macrumors member

I would have done the CS3, since you would have recieved your software faster and Adobe allows, for product purchased up to 60 days after the announcement, a free upgrade to CS4. ;)

Pj

14. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

CS4 was actually cheaper. Thats why I wondered what the catch was! I guess it is that you have to wait. How do you get this mentioned free upgrade??

15. pjgeer macrumors member

When you purchase they should provide the 1-800 number you need to call for the upgrade.

Pj

16. drsmoochy thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just wanted to let you know that it worked. I got CS4 and I got the serial number. My most recent transcript wasn't too long ago, though.