Student discount price will hurt Apple more then help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djnardu, Oct 16, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

With the jack up in price of student discount I can see many students and other Mac users getting their copies of Leopard pirated. Its already incredibly easy to get a copy of Tiger, iLife and iWork 08 are both easy to pirate because of Apple's lack of serial keys.

Now I support Apple and plan on buy Leopard at full price but without any type of registration Leopard is basically freeware for many users. I mean technically one could just pass around a Leopard disk without anyone knowing.

The reason why I'm ranting is because the fact that "I" am paying for a product and they are not. We are both receiving the same copy. Now I can tout as much about how I feel better about buying it legally, but in the end it comes to the fact that I spent 130 dollars on the same piece of software people are getting for free.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Apple make most of their money on hardware, while this may lose them money in the short term, in the long term it is not much, as they will have happy customers, and much less people calling customer service due to activation problems. The happier their customers, the more likely they are to buy another Mac and recommend Macs to their friends.

I am going to buy Leopard, even though I could pirate it, but I wouldn't feel bad about pirating Vista...if some people don't feel the same way about Apple that I do (that £58 is worth it) then I don't care if they pirate it...

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Apple has changed the way that student discounts are distributed.

Leopard for Students is still 69.95 THROUGH the university bookstore that the student attends.

The only downside for me is that i may have to wait a few extra days to
    get my copy.

And when compared to windows pricing, the 116 for students still rocks.

I learned my lesson after buying iWork 08 for 71 dollars on the apple online education store. I went to my university bookstore a few weeks after i got it and noticed that they still had it at the lower price i think it was 39.99 or 49.99 not sure.

4. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

at best apple is going to break even. I think they are going to lose more than they gain by the price increase. Pirating among students is going to skyrocket just because of the $47 price hike to the student version