Student Discount Question. Must be over 18?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am 17 years old, and I will be attending college next fall (I live in the US, btw). I have been planning on purchasing a new Macbook using the student discount, as I am enrolled, have student ID, and have already paid for a large chunk of my college education. However, I looked at the terms of the policy, and it says you must be 18 years old in order to get the student discount. I am on a very tight budget and I just will not be able to afford a Mac (I know, a tragedy), if I don't get the discount. I will end up getting one of those $500 dells or Walmart computers or something. Is this really true that even though I am a university student, I am not eligible for the student discount??? It's not my fault I am a freaking genius and am going to college a year early.... :p Also, will they even check if I buy online? If I go to the store they will probably check my age then right? Man, this makes me feel like I'm trying to buy cigarettes or something!

Please help me.... must have mac..... ahhh.....

:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You could just have your parents buy it online and you could pay them.

3. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I've bought a Mac online using the student discount. You must certify that you are a student (which you have a student ID). They don't ask for any other information. I've even heard of people using the student discount when they are not students (dishonest, I know). If you want a bigger discount, check out the ADC student membership. It's $100 upfront but you get a 20% discount. You have to jump through a few more hoops (ie faxing over proof of enrollement from the school) but it's worth it. Search for it on the forms or google it.

4. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know about ADC, but I kind of figured out that it's not worth it because with student discount you get a free ipod which you can sell, and it ends up being about the same. (unless somebody can show me the calculation on that).

I really want to buy it in the store, because I think I will get it faster because after it ships I won't have to wait even longer for it to arrive. Or, maybe I will get lucky and they will order one in before 2 weeks or whatever and I can go grab it. Anyway, I just want to know if they check your age if you buy it at the store (or online).

Thanks.

5. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I thought that you don't get the AppleCare discount through ACD, or do you? I know that -$100 from AppleCare is huge for using the education discount.

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

What I've seen people typically do is buy the computer through the ADC, then use the regular education discount to buy AppleCare. Then you get the best of both.

7. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

It depends on the computer you buy. For a new MBP it's about $400 off the regular price. -$100 (membership) still equals $300 savings. But if you want to buy it at the store, then you have to use your student discount as the ADC is online (plus, rumors has it that all ADC members will get a copy of Leopard when it comes out) -$129 more...

8. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I just learned that my apple store has a the macbook and I can get it right now. Does anybody know if I can get a student discount at the store IN PERSON if I am not 18 or older? Please? Will they check my drivers license? I have my university student ID card.

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

call and ask?

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I think that you'll be fine, I've heard of people a couple of years out of college using there discount, and that they don't really check your license if you use your id card.

11. smartin684 macrumors newbie

Yes, just go buy it. All they can do is say No. Then you go home and order it online.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the US Education store doesn't require you to be 18, just that you be a college or university student with a school ID or copy of a letter of admissions to prove it

Here's what the eligibility statement says;

"Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale."

as you can see, nothing about age

here's Apple's sales policy page:

sales policy

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Just walk up, and do it. If they say that you have to be 18, just ask to speak to the manager and tell him or her your case. I'm sure you can talk your way out of it.

But don't bring it up if they don't say anything!