Student discount question....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YOTR, Mar 7, 2011.

1. YOTR macrumors member

I might be purchasing a new Macbook pro in the next few days and had a question about the student discount. My wife is currently enrolled in college so she can get the discount. When I check out, I know I select the college she is enrolled in but do I need to pay for the macbook in her name? Will it matter if I just select her school and then check out with my name and information? I just don't want anything to happen down the road warranty wise if I bring it in myself for repairs but they notice I am not enrolled in college (but my wife is). I am planning on buying the student discount apple care with the laptop if I decide to bite the bullet (currently have a macbook refurb that I might be sending back).

Thanks in advance!

2. themac23 macrumors regular

You will be fine either way. I believe the website asks you if you are shopping for yourself or someone else anyways after you pick a school.

3. MrMorris macrumors newbie

I've got the same question, but in my case my brother might be buying it with his uni discount for me with my card. So there's no issues with this? Even if I walk into an Apple Store looking for a repair?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think it matters in the US. However, when you said "uni"..are you in the UK? I know the discounts are a weird conundrum over there.

5. dwhynman macrumors regular

I have bought 2 people computers with my discount over the past few years. I have done it in store and online so far never had any problems. The computer becomes registered to a user when they set it up at the registration screen when they start it up so don't worry.

6. MrMorris macrumors newbie

Yep, UK. What's different?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Take a look at THIS thread. Should help to answer your questions. Basically, there are different student levels.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It depends on whether you are in college, or university.

blevins321 posted a link to a good thread, but it does miss a few points and without meaning to offend the author of that thread the one I created has more information for people who are at college not uni.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Take a look at both.

There is a difference between FE and HE discounts. If it is an HE purchase technically the laptop should be for student's use and will have to be in their name. You will also get a 3 year warranty as standard online or on the phone.

9. YOTR thread starter macrumors member

So do you think I should have my wife checkout online and order the macbook pro under her name and info and then just register it with me when I get it? If there is a warranty issue down the road, do you think I will have an issue (like her needing to be there when I bring it in)?