student discount question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bearcats087, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bearcats087 macrumors member

bearcats087

my dad just bought me a new 13 inch pro and i am wondering if i can take the receipt back to the apple store and show them my student id in order to get the extra 100 off...has anyone else done this or have experience in how the student discount works?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, you can't do that, unless the Apple store manager is feeling really nice. By paying full price your father implicitly agreed to the sales term on regular pricing. That and the fact that if they said yes to you, they'd have to say yes to every random stranger that comes in with an MBP receipt and shows them a student ID, not very business wise, don't you think?

If you really want to pay edu discount, if you're within the 14 day window, you could always return the computer, and buy another one, though I personally wouldn't do it.

3. bearcats087 thread starter macrumors member

bearcats087

appreciate the reply i didn't think so either

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

if you go to the store i'm sure they can work something out. They aren't out to get anyone.

5. mienna macrumors newbie

You're the customer. Bring the machine in and tell them that you want the edu pricing or you'll return the computer. They'll give you the money rather than lose a sale.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

+1

Usually you don't even need to bring in the item. As long as it's within the 14 day return period they'll do it no questions asked - they know you can just return it and buy another one.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So you'd just happily pay an extra $100 for no good reason? Maybe if there were more people like you we could get the US economy back on track...

In all seriousness to the OP, bring it in and they should credit the $100. If not, you can simply return it for a full refund and re-buy it with the discount, so it nets out to the same thing. It's actually better for Apple because this way they don't have a return that has to be resold as refurbished.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Now where did I say that I'd be happy about it? You still agreed to the term of sales when you paid full price, when the information is out there and easily reachable that there is an education discount on those machines.

Apple does not owe the OP 100$, they are not the ones that made the mistake. That is my one and only point. I'm not an American, and I don't think that's the kind of attitude that would get your economy back on track, but that's a whole other story.

Thank you all for modding down my post when I was simply pointing out that it wasn't Apple's mistake and they are in no way obligated to entertain the OP's request. I think it would be nice of them to do so, of course. In fact, I'm betting that if the OP brings this issue up with a manager, they'll be able to work it out. That would be simpler for all parties.

Everyone happy now?

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This "terms of sale" stuff is silly. If someone finds a better deal after purchasing an item, why shouldn't they at least try and get the difference back?

On the contrary. Spending is a great way to get out a recession. ;)

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, spending is good, but there are other factors in that equation. I don't think everyone in the US spending their life savings at once would work, if you get my drift.

I have nothing wrong with trying to get a deal, but I was taught young to live with my mistakes, so maybe that's why I would personally not feel entitled to anything from Apple if I had made the mistake. I'd probably be very pissed, but only at myself. Maybe I'm expressing myself wrong, English is only a second language to me.

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Apple is not offering $100 off the price of the computer. They will sell the computer at full price and give you a $100 gift card to the app store. If you want $100 off the price, then you have to purchase the computer through BestBuy or another authorized retailer.

I purchased mine at BestBuy and got $200 off the price. They are selling the MBP for $90 cheaper and you can also get the student discount.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Not any more. The back to school offer has finished.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Umm, yes Apple has always given student discounts off the computer itself. Just during the summer, they give the computer discount plus give (previously an iPod) the app store discount. Good luck getting most retailers to match student pricing.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, they do. It's called education pricing, available at both the Apple Store and online through Apple's website. Discount varies from computer to computer but I believe the 13" MBP comes out at around $100 cheaper.

15. Gurutech macrumors 6502

You should be in 2 weeks period. Either ask for edu pricing or return it.
    Simple.

16. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

BestBuy is the way to go. I was there today and they are still having the sale. Student discount goes on top of the sale price, that's $200 off. I would return the computer to Apple and then purchase a new one at BestBuy.

17. disarticulate macrumors regular

Never take sales advice from somebody named "Snaky" or somebody who says "implicitly agreed." What's the difference between agreed and implicitly agreed?

18. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Within 14 days YES!
    No app store card though since that promotion expired 7 days ago and all cards are destroyed.

19. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

you can always try and see what they say. you can try and ask for an apple store gift card. I've heard of people trading their app store for apple store cards. it always worth a try

20. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Can you tell us which country your'e in? There's no point people telling you to shop at best buy etc if there aren't any in your country. Also, warranties can vary in differing countries with higher education purchases.

21. harcosparky macrumors 68020

If you are in the USA and within 14 days of purchase you CAN return the laptop and repurchase it getting the Apple Student Discount.

The Apple Student Discount is NOT the " Back To School " special promotion that Apple runs.

Take your receipt and student ID back and request the discount.

Honestly the best place to get the answer to the question you asked is at the Apple Store ..... not here.
    NO you DO NOT have to buy " another one ". You return and repurchase the one you bought, it's more or less just a paperwork transaction. I did it once some recently, just by taking the receipt to the store. I bought my new MBP 2 days before the Back To School Promotion. When the promotion was announced I took ONLY my receipt back to the Apple Store. They 'returned' and resold the MBP to me and I got the Promotion.