Student discount question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spikeanator6982, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

Ok. Pretty simple question that i havent ever seen answered. Apple says one laptop/desktop..a year. is that year as in 2008. or year as in school year?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They don't check if you bought a computer or not, so it doesn't matter.

They just don't want you to start a business based on it.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Are you sure? Seems like it would be really easy to check by name and calendar year. Just curious, this may be important to me in a few days.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

My mom bought a mini in February and then decided to upgrade to an iMac in late May (mini was sold on ebay). There was no problem.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

If you buy it from a retail store, they have absolutely no way of tracking it anyways.

6. BIS2 macrumors regular

edu discount

Don't know if they've change it, but in the past it was the academic year which for apple started on July 1. So theoretically you could by a computer and get the discount on June 30 and another on July 1. If you log into the edu store I think it says this on the disclaimer but I could be wrong.

7. illidian macrumors 6502

8. Vster macrumors 6502

I had purchased an iBook in September of '05 (w/edu discount) and then dropped it in December. I then got a PowerBook the next week w/the edu discount and they didn't say anything even though I had explained my story. I didn't even know there was a limit.

9. iamth3g macrumors newbie

keep in mind, that apple is giving the students the discount as a privilege, and not some "oh! but it is based my constitutional right to receive these deep discounts!...blah blah blah."

so yes, you can buy the computers at a discounted price without a limit, just goes to say without warning:

"They don't check if you bought a computer or not, so it doesn't matter. They just don't want you to start a business based on it." -alphaod

besides, the discount that is readily now, is only on all laptops and 22'' iMac, will u get a free ipod touch. but you only get one.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1) There is no 22" iMac.
    2) The discount applies to everything, but the promotion excludes the Mac Mini.