Student discount - uk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Batnut, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Batnut macrumors newbie

Hi All

I did a search and couldn't find this covered.

I am a year out of university (non-student) who didn't ever take advantage of my student discount. I of course have lots of friends still in Uni and was wondering if I am able to walk into a store and use their discount? Could I be buying it for them if they were with me ect? Would it be in my name?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Batnut thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just noticed that I can go on the UK sight and buy a mac with the discount without any proof of being a student. Surely this can't be right?

3. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

4. Frangore macrumors newbie

There are 2 levels of education discount, Normal and higher, Higher is for university students and as its a better discount is strictly controlled. You have to be on a university campus network of have university ID in an apple store. The other "normal" level of discount is not as strict and as such able to be purchased online However you do sign saying you're a student legally etc with apple.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There are three types of UK student discount. The best deals are found by connecting to the Apple Store via a university network (that gives ~15% off and a free 3 year warranty), so in that case the "check" is you being on a uni network. The basic discount of ~5% doesn't require you to be on a special network and doesn't need any evidence upfront. Apple do check a small percentage of orders later, but not many.

But no matter what discount you get you are making a declaration that you are a student. A false representation gives Apple the right to cancel the order, and could be fraud. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, only the facts.

Some people have walked into a store with a friend and Apple gave a discount. That's no problem as it's obvious what is going on. If you buy in store on your card it's fine, and you just register the Mac when you get home.

6. Batnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help. As I've only been out of Uni for a year I can still use Uni facilities as an Alumni, so may buy it there. However I don't think I'm happy with it as its a half truth really.

Hmm... my conscience is leading me towards forgoing the discount and buying it normally.