Student Discount vs Refurbished Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmack549, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Hey there, buying my first Macbook.

I can either use my student discount and get a new Macbook for $1000, or I can get a refurb for $949. What should I do?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

5. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Ditto, although the refurb's I've bought were excellent quality.

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

like everyone else has already said and probably will all agree that you should just get the new one!

7. kylep6190 macrumors member

Yup, although I have heard great things about Apple refurbs, there will always be a few bad eggs in there. It is definitely worth the extra $50 for the peace of mind knowing that it will work perfectly, and everything is brand new.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually, I have yet to hear of anyone being dissatisfied with any of the Apple refurbs (dozens of people, including 4 myself). They test them pretty thoroughly before selling them.

I would always get the newer model though.

9. dewey decibel macrumors member

Hi, I just saw this thread. I'm in a similar position, my issue is the $949 refurb MB 2.0, 80GB with superdrive vs the student discount new MB (although same speed/spec) $999 with combo drive. I'm sure the new machine is better with the graphics card/available RAM, but I really want that superdrive. Any thoughts on this?

10. kylep6190 macrumors member

I would say just go with the mid-end macbook. It is a little more expensive, but you get the superdrive, an extra .2 Ghz of processor speed which may not sound like much but makes a pretty significant difference, and you get a 120GB hard drive instead of 80GB which is pretty big since you will go through 80GB pretty fast. If you want your macbook to last longer, in my opinion just save up an extra $200 and get a new mid-range one.

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

If you plan on this laptop being your primary computer for the next 5 years, get the newest model. If not and you need the superdrive for serious reasons, get the refurb. Check out a thread I made on the same topic, btw.

12. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I have a refurb MBP. Purchased in April. It's awesome -- no complaints.

Agreed. As I said earlier, it's worth it for the small price difference. The new MB is the better choice in this case.

13. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Depends. I bought a student discount 15" 2.16ghz MacBook Pro in March mainly because I also wanted Final Cut Express preinstalled for an extra $100 (had I gotten a refurb, it would have cost more for FCE).

But a couple weeks ago, I just bought a 15" 2.2ghz MCP for $1699 (refurb) vs. $1799 new. I saved a Hundred there. Plus, I saved another $60 for rebate going with a business agent:
    http://otechs.com/rebate

So in that case, it was worth it to go with refurb to save $160.

the person on this board to PM for more info on this is techound1.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. dewey decibel macrumors member

Thanks, this makes sense. The thing is I'm already stretching just to afford the $1000 for the earlier model. I'm sure the newer machines are great and will probably hold thier value reallywell, but the truth is I don't need the newer machine for what I want to do. I'm just going to be recording audio, word processing and other basic stuff- no gaming or anything. I'm sure the faster frontside buss would help with the audio, but otherwise... :eek:

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Refurb are great but the price difference is so small in this case, I'd definitely go for the new one .. :cool:

17. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I am in the same position as you. I've been hunting down Apple gift cards and Apple iPhone rebates on Craigslist, buying them up for less than face value from the sellers. It's a giant hassle, but at least I can save a pretty fair amount.

18. jollyflip macrumors newbie

New MacBook

for a $50.00 difference: Definitely, buy the new MacBook;

19. Anorion macrumors member

The difference between the refurb and an equivalent new one is not $50. It's $250. If you don't need the extra 40MHz of processing power or the ability to have 4gb of ram, get the refurb. It's a great deal.